Newb questions before I buy a bunch of stuff.

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Ryan_m
Favourite Beer: 5Paddles Dominatrix

Newb questions before I buy a bunch of stuff.

Post by Ryan_m » 2 years ago

I'm new. I haven't done my first brew yet as I'm still acquiring gear and I'd like to get some approval before I buy. I will be doing 20L batches, all electric in the basement. I think I'm making good decisions but what do I know!

I have a ~26L cooler that I'm going to turn into a mash tun and build a cpvc manifold as per John Palmer's book. Likely add a RIMS setup to that but I don't know if that will happen before my first brew. I have a couple 25L glass carboys and a 20L too. Big decision right now is I was about to pull the trigger on a couple 8 gal. kettles from OBK, obviously one for a HLT and the other for a BK. Wasn't sure if weldless vs. welded fittings mattered much but I think I'll spring for the welded fittings. Plan is to get a 4500W ULWD camco element to install in each and build the controllers using SSVR relays (as in manual not PID). I was going to bring a 30A 240V service to the area as I cant see needing to fire both kettles at the same time and I have the wire for a 30A service on hand... bigger will be a lot of $$$ in wire.

Also not sure if I should just build a counter flow chiller right off the bat or an immersion chiller because its easier.

So before I get ahead of myself, does the above plan look ok? Anything I should do differently? At this point I don't think it matters much but as a sideline project I want to add on of the Raspberry Pi setups to automate some of this. Probably looks like overkill for my zero experience level but I just like to build stuff.

Thank for any input!
Ryan

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Newb questions before I buy a bunch of stuff.

Post by brhenrio » 2 years ago

I personally don't think 8 gallons is enough for the boil kettle. To end up with 5 gallons (~18L) I start with about 7 gallons in the kettle and boil down to just under 6, and lose about half a gallon in the kettle and at least another half gallon in fermentor. 10 gallon kettles work perfect for me. As for the chiller, an immersion chiller is an effective one to start with if you have ample water.

Edit: I need a 10 gallon kettle because starting with 7 gallons, my outbreak still nearly overflows. If I had an 8 gallon kettle there would be no way for me to handle it.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX » 2 years ago

I'd agree with a slightly bigger boil kettle to give some breathing room.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Ryan_m

Thanks guys. Just received my 10gal kettles, now to out fit them with elements. I'm assuming 4500W per is enough? since the elements I found will just fit. But before I run my electrical, there won't be any need to run the BK and HLT at the same time will there?

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 2 years ago

4500W each is plenty; unless you are double-batching (making two beers in the same day) you shouldn't need to run both at once.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 2 years ago

Ryan how are you running your electrical? 30 a to another box where you have gfci protection? (Like wiring in a sauna) i have to wire mine right away, and am curious how to get gfci protection. I have a stablock panel for my main, and the only gfci breakers i can find arent stablock. So to do it, it looks like i need to run to another panel, or is there a simpler way?
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Ryan_m

Why a GFCI? I've read of people doing it and sure in a technical sense it adds some extra safety, but if your gear is properly grounded I can't see why it's required so long as the receptacle isn't within 1.5m of a sink. If you really have your heart set on it and can't get one to fit your panel then likely easiest way is to wire to a small pony panel close to your area from a manufacturer that you can find a GFCI breaker for. I know Siemens stuff is available. Link. At least having a panel in the area gives you option in the future for other equipment.

Ryan_m

Sorry Forgot to answer your first question... I'm just wiring to a 30A dryer receptacle. If it matter I'm using conduit and pulling wire through. A little extra effort but allows me to change/add wiring easily in the future since it's about a 60' run back to my main panel.