Electric boiling options?

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Re: Electric boiling options?

Post by Reignman » 2 years ago

Some sort of controller is needed in my opinion. Have you thought about induction heating? Aluminum pots won't work with induction heating.

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX » 2 years ago

For a boil kettle, an element controller is useful, but not really necessary IMHO.

I use mine (4500w LWD) without a controller. In a stockpot/kettle that size, boil-over is hard to accomplish, and I haven't had a problem with scorching.

But yes, it would certainly be nice to have some times... even just to slow down the boil-off rate if nothing else.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

hawkbox

Post by hawkbox » 2 years ago

I was looking at an induction unit but they seem hard to find in Canada. And then figuring out what pot will work on it is a bit challenging.

XXXXX
Administrator

Basically any iron/steel/stainless pot will work with induction. Some are better than others for sure. Not aluminum. Trick is finding a high power one for decent price.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 2 years ago

Biggest thing I have heard with induction is if a magnet will stick to the pot, it will work.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

XXXXX
Administrator

brhenrio wrote:Biggest thing I have heard with induction is if a magnet will stick to the pot, it will work.
That's a really good trick! Never thought of that
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » 2 years ago

That is how induction works. Its a super magnet that excites the molecules in a steel pot to cause heat. Thus the whole pot heats up. the pot needs a magnet to stick to it or it won't work.

Heat stick is a easy thing to tie you over. I did a post a few years ago about how I made one. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=803&hilit=heat+stick

or buy one commercially like https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ ... 00gfci.htm

I'm not trying to talk you out of doing something like a Kal clone, I am doing one myself. BUT in the meantime this is a fast cheap way to brew decent size batches on your stove top in your kitchen in a timely fashion. Or buy new pots and an induction cooktop.

Reignman

Yes, I have seen that Bodhi. It even has a gfci too. That and a decent pot and you are on you way.

Reignman

Ontario Beer Kegs is supposed to be getting a brew system similar to the Grainfather, but way cheaper. If you go to their Facebook page, they are currently ordering some for the summer. It's called the Robobrew from Australia. Just another option.