Next questions from on of the newest of the newbies

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Next questions from on of the newest of the newbies

Post by Wingeezer »

So far, I have bought one turkey fryer from Canadian Tire, I plan to use it to boil water. I guess I still need a second large pot to serve as my brew kettle.

The pot I have is listed as 30 quart, / 28.4 Liter.

I only plan to make 5 gallon batches and that translates to 18.93 Liters.

My question is whether a second pot of the same size would be fine to use as a as a brew kettle, or whether I would be better getting a larger one to accommodate the hot break without danger of overflow.

I have no idea how big a deal this hot break is and how difficult it might be to control.

If I were to use another pot the same size as the 30qt one I already bought, then if my calculations are correct, with 5 gallons of wort in it, I should have about 4-1/2" from the surface of the wart to the lip of the pot.

Does that sound ok, or should be looking to get a larger pot for the brew kettle to ensure no boil over?

I see that CTC also sell a 36 qt turkey fryer at $99, so that might be an option if I should get a larger pot.

Home Hardware have a 50L stainless pot for $70 - no burner, but I suppose I don't really need two burners - or do ?!

Seems to me that once I have drained the last of the hot sparge water into the mash tun, my single burner would then be available to keep the first running at a good temperature in the brew kettle while awaiting addition of the second running so I shgould really only need one burner. Does that make sense?

So what do you guys think - how much "freeboard" do I need in the brew kettle to avoid boil over - is 4 1/2" enough? And can I work with just one propane burner or should I really have two?!

Hopefully I am nearing the end of these questions! Please bear with me, I am just trying to avoid wasting $$ buying the wrong things or unnecessary things!

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

blacktiebrewing

Re: Next questions from on of the newest of the newbies

Post by blacktiebrewing »

The main issue with using a smaller pot is that if you want to have 5 gallons after the boil, you will need closer to 6 before
the boil as you will lose quite a bit to evaporation.
I started with a 36 qt turkey fryer and I had to be pretty careful about boil over. The hot break can be impressively violent ;)
But if you're careful and turn down the heat when it starts getting out of hand you can avoid the biggest mess (as long as
your outside or somewhere easy to clean). A spray bottle with cold water helps too.

I still only have one burner and one pot so I have to heat all my sparge water in the boil kettle while I'm transferring my
sparged wort into another vessel. Its a bit annoying but it will have to do until I get around to finishing my system.

If you're really trying to get set up and avoid spending more money down the road, you should keep your eye out for a 50 L
Sanke keg. I eventually upgraded to one that I converted to a boil kettle and it works great! It's much larger and it really
shines when you add a valve, thermometer and sight-glass.

Cheers!
Ty
"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

I agree with blacktiebrewing. When I was looking to go to 10 gallons ( 2003 ) there was nothing in Canada. If I could find a ss boil kettle it was in the $300.00 range. Screw that. I eventually got it from the US, a 50L Sanke keg with the top cut out for $80.00. Times have changed for the good. These kegs are out there, just take a look around. Kijiji for one.

blacktiebrewing

Post by blacktiebrewing »

Another good place to check is your local metal depot/recyclers. They will usually sell you one for its weight in stainless. Probably about $60 but you will still have to cut the top off.
"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

KamBrew

Post by KamBrew »

I got my SS kegs from a brewery. I just drove up and asked if they had any dead/decommissioned kegs that they didn't need and bingo, 2 freebies! Some breweries may ask you to pay, but it would still be cheaper than forking out $300 for a pot.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post by Wingeezer »

KamBrew wrote:I got my SS kegs from a brewery. I just drove up and asked if they had any dead/decommissioned kegs that they didn't need and bingo, 2 freebies! Some breweries may ask you to pay, but it would still be cheaper than forking out $300 for a pot.
You never know what you can get 'til you ask! Smart Idea!

Brian
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.