10gallon igloo or Rubbermaid cooler

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
ihomebrewing

Re: 10gallon igloo or Rubbermaid cooler

Post by ihomebrewing »

It seems appropriate to mention that I am an authorized importer of McMaster Carr products. The catch is the extra shipping cost that I have to spend to get the stuff (no duty though), before I can ship it out to you.

If any canadianhomebrewers.com members are interested, just email me (info@ihomebrewing.ca), and we can work out an AT cost solution added onto any future IHB orders, since I am ordering from them occasionally anyhow.

Cheers,

Bryan

jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

gmac wrote:My only complaint is volume and I wish I'd gone bigger because I am doing 10 gal batches and it's pretty full at 1.5L/lb of grain which is my normal mash ratio.
That was my thought behind going with the 100qt cooler. I'd want to be doing 10gal batches and still have the option of doing bigger beers so I'd definitely want the extra room. I can't imagine that there'd much heat loss over the period of the mash rest even with a huge cooler like that?
The Brewnosers

Fermenting: Lion & Lamb IIPA (WLP051), Strongbad Bitter (US-05)
On tap: Cardinal Sin India Red Ale, Count Chocula Chocolate Milk Stout, Lion & Lamb IIPA (WLP001), Strongbad Bitter (S-04)

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post by Wingeezer »

gmac wrote:Just wondering why you'd want the round versus rectangular styles? Are you going to batch sparge or fly sparge in it? Not sure if it matters or not but you did mention grain bed thickness. I batch sparge in a 50 qt Coleman Extreme and I love it. If you have a compelling reason to want the round one, go for it but if you're just looking for a cooler, I'd say rectangular is a lot easier to find and works very well. I have a piece of braided hose in mine instead of a false bottom. My only complaint is volume and I wish I'd gone bigger because I am doing 10 gal batches and it's pretty full at 1.5L/lb of grain which is my normal mash ratio.

Well, I thought at first that it might be desireable because the smaller cross section would give me a thicker grain bed which I thought would be desirable.

Now I'm not so sure! Guess I need to read the books some more. I think I understand the difference between batch an fly sparging but not really sure of the pros/cons of each.

I had thought to get a March pump to transfer between the various vessels, and assumed I would also use the pump for vorlauf, sparge etc so if I did that, I guess that would be considered fly sparging? So in that case, are you suggesting that a thicker grain bed is desirable

I've read about the various options of manifolds, braid, false bottoms, but again not sure if one is head and shouders above the others. Maybe I'll start with a braid setup which sounds the least expensive - if it gives problems I can then move to a manifold or false bottom setup.

I'm learning quickly how many things there are to consider in home brewing! All part of the fun!

Brian
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim »

I would highly recommend a trip to the USA
the standard price of seen in Canada for the 5 Gallon is about $39.99 where the regular price in the USA seems to be $19.99 Haven't looked for the 10Gallon there yet, but I'm sure it's about 1/2 the Canadian price

docdave

Post by docdave »

Guys,

I currently use a 9 gallon SS pot ($60.00 from US), a 48 Qt Coleman cooler with copper manifold and a 3 gal SS pot for heating sparge water. It works well but I would like to cut my brewing time further. I had a chance to brew with IHB in Windsor on a 3 keg setup. Total brew time is little over 4 hours. I will slowly convert over to this system. Starting with a brew kettle first, then a mash tun then a HLT last followed with multiple burners on a brew stand. IHB brought up a good point, brew 10 gal instead of 5 gal and trade a corny with your brew buddies! I plan to stay with the hobby for a long time so I might as well cut my brewing time and keep my better half off my back!

DocDave

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing »

Anyone that is new to brewing, local, and considering the trip to the USA to save a few bucks on a pot or burner should just stop over at IHB for a bit. We can schedule a brew demo just for you, and we have good beer on tap. The proper equipment is cheap and abundant, and we will sort out any all grain brewing questions and concerns very easily.

The best way to learn is to see it demonstrated. That's what we will continue to do. We are not a huge corporation selling China stuff for cheap. The idea is to teach the knowledge that we have gained, and get more Canadians brewing true quality all grain beer for as cheap as possible. That is what we enjoy doing.

Hold on to your toll costs and hang out local, and gain a whole bunch of knowledge.

Cheers,

Bryan

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 »

docdave wrote:Guys,
I might as well cut my brewing time and keep my better half off my back!DocDave
Amen to that brother! Actually being able to brew twice the amount in the same amount of time will be a huge plus. Life just gets so dang busy sometimes and there's not always enough time to brew(sorry beer!). I've actually just told B&S to start building my new brewstand. So hopefully I'll be brewing up 10gal batches soon. :)
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

Jack

Post by Jack »

docdave wrote:

Guys,
I might as well cut my brewing time and keep my better half off my back!DocDave

The flip side to that is by brewing smaller batches and brewing them more often it gets me some quality time AWAY from my better half, just me and my beer!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.