10gallon igloo or Rubbermaid cooler

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

10gallon igloo or Rubbermaid cooler

Post by Wingeezer »

Anyone know of a Canadian Source of these large cylindrical coolers? I have seen 5 gallon ones, but thought that even though I only
plan to make 5 gallon batches, a 10 gallon size might be better.

I've never tried any of this yet and don't know how much volume the grain might take up so with 10 gallon capacity I wouldn't have to worry.

I thought they might be easy to find but I have tried several websites in Canada including CTC and Home Depot and not found a cylindrical ten gallon version.

Maybe I'll have to wait until by next cross-border trip.

I only wanted the cylindrical style because I figured it would give me a thicker grain bed and I though that would most likely be a good thing - not sure about that though.

Brian
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

jeffsmith

Re: 10gallon igloo or Rubbermaid cooler

Post by jeffsmith »

I'm curious about this as well. I've tried Home Hardware and Walmart as well with no luck here in the Maritimes. I'd prefer to go with the Igloo style if I can mostly because it's easier to drop a false bottom in as well as giving a thicker grain bed.
The Brewnosers

Fermenting: Lion & Lamb IIPA (WLP051), Strongbad Bitter (US-05)
On tap: Cardinal Sin India Red Ale, Count Chocula Chocolate Milk Stout, Lion & Lamb IIPA (WLP001), Strongbad Bitter (S-04)

Wingeezer

Post by Wingeezer »

jeffsmith wrote:I'm curious about this as well. I've tried Home Hardware and Walmart as well with no luck here in the Maritimes. I'd prefer to go with the Igloo style if I can mostly because it's easier to drop a false bottom in as well as giving a thicker grain bed.

Jeff,

There is Lowes store in Hamilton not far from us (A US Chain like Home Depot). You can't search their products on the internet but I plan to drop around maybe next week to see if they might stock them.

A five gallon one might be big enough, I'm not sure - I have seen those at CTC.

Do you know a good source of false bottoms for these coolers? I found a stainless one at a local store but it was $55 just for a perforated circular piece of stainless which I though was expensive - maybe that is the going price. For that price I might first try a home made manifold or stainless braid / bazooka version.

Brian.

jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

I think $50 to $75 is the going rate for false bottoms. Just a bit easier to clean I think than going with a braid. Though a copper manifold would likely work just as well.

I'm thinking about going with a 10gallon one, which is probably best for me because it gives extra room for mashing "big" beers. I've actually been thinking about going with a 100qt Coleman Extreme picnic cooler with a copper manifold since my search for an Igloo had been turning up with nothing.
The Brewnosers

On tap: Cardinal Sin India Red Ale, Count Chocula Chocolate Milk Stout, Lion & Lamb IIPA (WLP001), Strongbad Bitter (S-04)

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT »

I would guess any sport supply store would be able to source one as they pop up on the side lines at football games etc. I found this link http://www.mcmaster.com/#beverage-coolers/=eh6qsb, unfortunately I believe they only ship to Canadian buisnesses not individuals. I have a 5 Gallon water cooler I bought at Home Depot I am meaning to do DIY thread on. These are usually available in the summer.

Cheers

Scott

Wingeezer

Post by Wingeezer »

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT wrote:I would guess any sport supply store would be able to source one as they pop up on the side lines at football games etc. I found this link http://www.mcmaster.com/#beverage-coolers/=eh6qsb, unfortunately I believe they only ship to Canadian buisnesses not individuals. I have a 5 Gallon water cooler I bought at Home Depot I am meaning to do DIY thread on. These are usually available in the summer.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

Also, I don't believe that McMaster Carr will ship to Canada. I recently tried to buy some stainless steel pull latches from them for an Airstream trailer we own and they wouldn't ship to Canada - I'm having them shipped to a chum who spends his winter in Florida and he will bring them home for me!

Can you tell me if a 5 gallon igloo style cooler would be big enough for making a 5 gallon batch of beer? I understand that you don't put all the water in at once, I assume about half to strike and half to sparge, but I have no idea how much room the grain takes up.

That was the only reason I was contemplating getting a ten gallon round cooler. I don't anticipate making larger than 5 gallon batches, so maybe it is overkill for what i would need?

Brian.

jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

Thanks Scott. McMaster-Carr never even crossed my mind. That triggered another thought:

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/searchRe ... ch&x=0&y=0

Cooler jackpot. I've bought a bunch of parts from these guys for my pool. They usually ship within a day or two and their rates are pretty reasonable.
The Brewnosers

jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

Wingeezer wrote:Also, I don't believe that McMaster Carr will ship to Canada.
A know a bunch of guys that recently purchased a bunch of parts for refurbishing kegs from MMC and they were able to have their order shipped to Canada, mind you it was to a business address.
The Brewnosers

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT »

You guys are correct about the shipping to Canadian buisness addresses only. I buy alot of various components for machine tooling builds. I attempted to purchase and have stuff shipped to my house and they emailed me they cancelled the order. From that point on I order all my stuff to the shop with no issues.

Also the 5 gallon cooler will be sufficient for your 5 gallon batch. You will sparge to collect the full pre boil volume.

Cheers

Scott

gmac

Post by gmac »

Just wondering why you'd want the round versus rectangular styles? Are you going to batch sparge or fly sparge in it? Not sure if it matters or not but you did mention grain bed thickness. I batch sparge in a 50 qt Coleman Extreme and I love it. If you have a compelling reason to want the round one, go for it but if you're just looking for a cooler, I'd say rectangular is a lot easier to find and works very well. I have a piece of braided hose in mine instead of a false bottom. My only complaint is volume and I wish I'd gone bigger because I am doing 10 gal batches and it's pretty full at 1.5L/lb of grain which is my normal mash ratio.