Issues achieving FG Target

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Re: Issues achieving FG Target

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing »

You may wish to extend your mash as well - you could easily go up to 90 minutes - this would increase your efficiency. Also, perhaps use a yeast starter.
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

Mashing past iodine test doesn't really do much in terms of efficiency. I usually have two to three different rests within the saccharification range. Mainly to control the degree of fermentability. If you're doing a combination rest, it isn't that critical.

The yeast starter also isn't a big issue if he uses three packs of dried yeast - that's plenty of viable yeast... But I agree it is probably worth it to start a yeast bank in the freezer, from which you'd do a starter and then you know for sure you have fresh, viable, ready to go yeast! :)

Cheers!

THE EDJ

Post by THE EDJ »

Doc_Drive wrote:You're doing awesome! Being that consistent is rare - especially when you're just starting out...

What kind of engineers are you guys? Just out of curiosity...
Both of us have mechanical engineering backgrounds.

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

Aaaah, that explains the love for the equipment! Hehe
Bioprocess Engineer here! :)

THE EDJ

Post by THE EDJ »

Right on!

I think engineering is a good background for brewing; brewing is basically a process and requires a high level of attention to detail to be consistent. My OCD tendencies lend themselves well to this hobby I think! I want to track things, measure things, and be able to see consistent improvement and brewing pretty well checks off those boxes. Plus I get to drink beer.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

Shaking the fermenter isn't always the best way to get the proper amount of 02 in your wort. Have you thought about using a ss stone along with those red C02 tanks from a hardware store? You will need a regulator too. 1 or 2 min. per carboy and you are good to go.