Brewing Environment

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
canada_pi2
Favourite Beer: SW Hopfenweisse

Brewing Environment

Post by canada_pi2 »

Hi all,

I've been interested in starting a new hobby in home brewing for a while now and received some equipment for Christmas. The subtle hints to my fiancé, seem to have worked haha.. She purchased me a Brewer's Best 5 gallon equipment kit, a Brewer's Pantry recipe kit and a Master Chef propane Country Cooker. I'm looking to begin soon and was told that the propane burner would work better than my old electric stove. If I were to set up the burner at the end of my open garage, should I be concerned about the outside temperature or the cleanliness of the area? I keep my garage clean, but it is still a garage.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Brewing Environment

Post by Doc_Drive »

Hey!

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

I'm brewing in my garage right now...

You will most likely not be able to bring a full 5 gallons (6 if you consider the starting volume) to a boil on your electric stove. I'm using a turkey fryer as well.

Garage brewing is absolutely fine - as long as the cold doesn't bother you! :)

Cheers!

canada_pi2

Post by canada_pi2 »

OK, great. Thanks for the info!

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB »

welcome to the forum and the hobby bro!
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan »

Ive been brewing in my woodshed for quite a while, lots of nasties floating around I'm sure in there hah, but once the boil is done I hrow the lid on the kettle to cool and bring it out in the driveway where the wind can hit it better. I siphon from the kettle to fermentor in the house where theres a bit less nasties floating around. Have had no trouble this way at all, except the occasional sore back from lugging the damn thing in the house.

As the others have said, you will be fine in the garage. Wlecome aboard by the way too!

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

Just to echo the others - you'll be fine. I brew all my beers in the garage, using a turkey firer burner. Just be safe - ensure you have good airflow, and a carbon monoxide detector in the garage isn't a bad idea either.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

canada_pi2

Post by canada_pi2 »

Thanks for the info, first brew day went pretty well!

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing »

Ditto to the statements above. You would be hard-Pressed to bring a full 5 G to a sustained boil on your stove. Some of my best brewing has been in my man cave (garage). Just keep your equipment clean and sanitized and all will be good. Welcome to this great hobby. Cheers!
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH »

Yeah, ditto above, in the garage, no heat (which is great for CDN winters), but got one of those parabolic heaters for Christmas like what you see at Costco, so should be good for now, along with the burner for the brew pot.

I have everything stored in there, as well, it is my primary storage for firewood for my wood stove. All of which has some form of mold and fungus on it. Not to mention the odd mouse roaming around I am sure.

Garage is well ventilated even when all of the doors are closed, as you can see about a 1/4-1/2 under the garage door at any time, so no real issues with CO off of the burner.

Haven't had an infected brew yet, so figure I am good. Just make sure everything is well sanitized and you should be good.