Two Weeks Before I Need the Beer - What Should I Do?

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Steve85
Favourite Beer: Ganter Bier

Two Weeks Before I Need the Beer - What Should I Do?

Post by Steve85 »

In the category of poor planning :rolleyes: , I started a Festa Brew Continental Lager kit three weeks ago, and have suddenly realized it would be really, really convenient if I could start drinking it between Xmas and New Years, two weeks from now (company's coming!) :drunk: The beer's finished fermenting (FG 1010), I dry-hopped it with 1/2 oz of Liberty hop pellets ten days ago, and have just racked it off the trub and hop detritus. It's really tasty at this point, but still a bit cloudy. If I want to start drinking it in two weeks' time, what should I do to maximize my chances? Some possibilities I thought up on my own:

- Bottle right away, hoping that the beer will clear itself after two weeks in the bottle;

- Cold crash for between a couple of days and a week, then bottle;

- clear the beer with some kind of finings (which one?), then bottle.

If I had a keg, I think it would go straight in, but that's sadly not an option (yet).

So, any suggestions? :)

Steve

SeanGodd
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist

Re: Two Weeks Before I Need the Beer - What Should I Do?

Post by SeanGodd »

Next time try doing this method. I know one guy that has tried it and had great result. As for this time. If it tastes good then you're fine :D

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

Steve85

Post by Steve85 »

What a great method! I'll definitely use it for my next batch.

As far as this batch goes, that sounds like a vote for a cold crash and then into the bottle ASAP.

Anyone else?

Steve

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan »

Just because it is a bit hazy, doesn't mean you can't drink it. From my experience clear beer certainly doesn't always mean better beer. If you want to drink it sooner, bottle it now, if you want it to look pretty bottle it now, and keep the bottles in the fridge longer before you drink them. It will clear in the bottle with enough fridge time. I normally don't ferment any longer than two weeks or secondary except with really big beers or fruit beers. They clear up in the bottle after a while, but for me its all about taste, and I can't taste cloudy.

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan »

I missed the part about it being a lager, sorry. I dont have much lager experience, but if it were me I'd still bottle it now, maybe after a day or so cold crash...

Steve85

Post by Steve85 »

Thanks Goulaigan. I'm setting it outside tonight (-1 C) for a day or two to see what that does to the clarity, and then into the bottle it goes!

Steve

SeanGodd
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist

Post by SeanGodd »

Steve85 wrote:Thanks Goulaigan. I'm setting it outside tonight (-1 C) for a day or two to see what that does to the clarity, and then into the bottle it goes!

Steve
Just make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn't freeze and don't leave it in the sun. It will skunk the beer. Throw an old tee shirt or towel over it to block out those harmful sun rays.
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

Steve85

Post by Steve85 »

After 24 hours outside with the temperature hovering around 0 degrees, my beer has cooled from 12 degrees down to 6. At this rate, another 24-36 hours should be alright. I've covered the carboy with a black garbage bag to keep out the sunlight. Wednesday I bottle!