Dry-hopping Festa Brew's Continental Pilsner Lager?

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Steve85
Favourite Beer: Ganter Bier

Dry-hopping Festa Brew's Continental Pilsner Lager?

Post by Steve85 »

Hey all,

Just found this forum and joined. I picked up a Festa Brew Continental Lager kit a few months ago on a whim, and it's turned out far better than I hoped. This is the first home brew I've made in 30 years, and it's a whole different ball game than the canned extracts I used all those years ago. I really enjoy the FB CPL, but am thinking about upping the hop profile a bit by trying dry-hopping in the secondary.

Has anyone tried this? I assume Saaz hops would be the hops of choice for this, but are there other suggestions? How much should I use? I don't want to over power the taste, just hop it up a little. Any suggestions?

Steve

JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Re: Dry-hopping Festa Brew's Continental Pilsner Lager?

Post by JimmehBrew »

Steve85 wrote:Hey all,

Just found this forum and joined. I picked up a Festa Brew Continental Lager kit a few months ago on a whim, and it's turned out far better than I hoped. This is the first home brew I've made in 30 years, and it's a whole different ball game than the canned extracts I used all those years ago. I really enjoy the FB CPL, but am thinking about upping the hop profile a bit by trying dry-hopping in the secondary.

Has anyone tried this? I assume Saaz hops would be the hops of choice for this, but are there other suggestions? How much should I use? I don't want to over power the taste, just hop it up a little. Any suggestions?

Steve
For first time dry hopping use .5 to 1 oz of what ever profile you wish, just google hop profiles for aroma and essence characteristics. Skip secondary if your ready, ferment 1 to 2 weeks then add hop pellets right to the fermenter for the 3rd and last week, if you ferment only 2 weeks then add after 7 days. Settle and transfer right to bottling bucket or kegs from fermenter and your good to go. Adding hops early to a fermentation is a waste of the hops aroma charateristics as most of it will be lost through the airlock when the CO2 is escaping.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Steve85

Post by Steve85 »

Thanks for the suggestion on dosage. I'm about to start my second batch, and I'll go with 1/2 oz when I rack into the secondary after a week.

Having read through lots of threads here, I'm surprised that secondaries seem to be old-school. I only have one fermenter (but lots of carboys) so I'll keep using secondaries at least until I can get another pail...live and learn!

Steve

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan »

You can ferment in your carboys, unless they are too small for the batch I suppose...

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH »

I use nothing by glass carboys for both primary fermentation as well as secondary.

Steve85

Post by Steve85 »

In the interest of closing this thread out, I ended up dry hopping a batch of FestaBrew Continental Pilsener by adding 1/2 oz of Liberty hop pellets to the primary fermenting pail during the second week of fermentation. I racked the lager off the trub into a carboy for a week of cold crashing and then bottled. After a week in bottle, I tried the beer and it was delicious, with a nice characteristic German-style hop aroma, noticeable but balanced hop flavour. I lived in Germany for four years, and this beer reminded me strongly of the kind of local beers I used to drink "over there". I would have used Hallertau hops if I had found them, but my brew store didn't have any and suggested the Liberty hop pellets would be a close substitute.

Dry hopping seems like an easy way to make good beer even better, so give it a try! :cheers:

Steve