Reusing bottle caps

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
alepale

Reusing bottle caps

Post by alepale »

I know bottle caps are not terribly expensive, but its still an extra item to have to buy and deal with.

Has anyone reused bottle caps?
Usually when I open an import beer (not twist off), the cap seems fine. It might have a slight scratch on top, but doesn't look bent.
Has anyone ever tried reusing bottle caps instead of having to buy them?

Any good places to buy them? The cheapest I found was 5c/cap.

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Re: Reusing bottle caps

Post by Goulaigan »

Ontario Beer Kegs is where I get my caps now, (oxygen barrier caps) was getting them from LHBS but found they were a bit soft, and noticed beers aged over a long period capped with them compared to same beer in Hacker Pschorr bottles didnt taste as good.

I mostly bottle now exclusively in Hacker Pschorr bottles, no cap buying, just sanitize the little rubber ring seperately from the bottle, and use them over and over, and they can take higher pressure than regular bottles for a little peace of mind with the extra bubbly hefs and saisons. I just started buying a couple a week, after 6 months or so its surprising how many you collect...

:drunk:

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

Too much work goes into making beer to take a chance on uncarbed beer, at least for me. You can try using twist off caps that were actually twisted off instead of a bottle opener. I have never done it.

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger »

I'm with Goul, I'd never reuse a cap even twist-off. I used twist-off for a while then started to have bottles with chips on the top. I got rid of all my twist-off when we moved and got Hacker Pschorr and Grolsch bottles from the bottle depot some for as little as .25 c but paid as muck as .50 c. I'll never go back to regular bottles. I also made a weekly trip to the beer store for 4 Hacker Pschorr or Bernards in swing top bottles.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH »

For the cost of new caps, why take the chance?

Last bag I bought was 150 caps for $5.50.

I do want to try the oxygen barrier caps, but haven't had a problem with the regular ones as of yet.

alepale

Post by alepale »

What's the difference between 'regular' caps and 'oxygen barrier'
Don't they all have to be oxygen barrier with the rubber lining?

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

More so, what I don't understand about the oxygen barrier...

In your bottle you have a pretty permanent pressurized situation.. What, about 15 PSI higher pressure than atmospheric? So stuff can (and rather will) go out, but not in. Why bother with the liner?? I have yet to figure that out...

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB »

I think the liner is not for absorbing the oxygen that is(n't) creeping into the capped bottle but to absorb the oxygen left in the headspace of the capped bottle. That way it isn't left in there to try its best to ruin your brew for the duration. The only time there wouldn't be oxygen left in the headspace of your bottles is if you're purging with co2 before filling.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

Doc_Drive wrote:More so, what I don't understand about the oxygen barrier...

In your bottle you have a pretty permanent pressurized situation.. What, about 15 PSI higher pressure than atmospheric? So stuff can (and rather will) go out, but not in. Why bother with the liner?? I have yet to figure that out...
This is incorrect. Diffusion of gasses is independent of the presence/pressures of other gasses. So O2 is perfectly able to diffuse past a caps gasket into a beers headspace, assuming that the concentration of O2 is lower in the headspace than in the outside atmosphere. The pressure of the CO2 - which can easily exceed 30PSI at room temperature - has no impact on the diffusion of O2 or other gasses.

Most oxygen-barrier caps have an oxygen-absorbing compound in the cap gasket; it will absorb any O2 in the bottles headspace - both O2 that entered in bottling and any that diffuses across afterwards. I use these caps for any of my long-aged beers; it can slow the ageing process noticeably, allowing barley wines/etc to age gracefully for many more years than conventional caps allow. For day-to-day beers, they are a total waste of money.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by jamatron »

Just a thought, more of a wondering, but if co2 is heavier than o2, would it really matter if oxygen diffuses past the cap anyway as it would never touch the surface of your beer because of the co2 escaping from solution and basically forming a protective layer over the surface of your beer. :rolleyes: as i said, just a thought.
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys