How much yeast is too much?

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

How much yeast is too much?

Post by SmokeyMcB »

Hey all,

So I have some old vials of yeast here that were donated, I decided that I'd try to grow them up to pitchable. I haven't done any yeast ranching yet and figured this would be a good way to start without risking any expensive yeast. I've already done a 1.5l starter for a couple of days, no stir plate. When it finished, I crashed it and decanted, then added another 2l of starter wort. Its just starting to bubble now.

I was using the yeastcalc site but I put in the wrong production date for the vial of yeast (thought it was older then it was). So after inputting the right production date, the calculator says that I'll need 174b cells for my beer and I will have around 257b cells after this step finishes. Is this too much extra yeast or is it fine to pitch into my beer (I'll crash and decant again first).

Thanks peeps

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: How much yeast is too much?

Post by Reignman »

This has been debated for years on other forums through the years. I guess if you pitch on a yeast cake you are over-pitching. I don't think you are over pitching looking at your numbers. I have read that if using an older vial to start small and work your way up from there. Start with a 500 ml starter and go from there. I think you are fine.

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB »

thanks for the reply bro, I think I'll just pitch it all.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

As a rule of thumb... Over pitching doesn't exist in lagers. In ales it might lead to decreased ester formation. wheat has a nice looking table on how many cells you need per gravity and beer style