The way I bottle now is I have a pail with a spigot. I pour straight into the bottle, but I tip the bottle so it doesn't splash into the bottle.
Basically being careful not to oxidize it. So the amount of head space is kinda dependent on how fast I'm able to close the spigot.
I can control this, but I didn't know it was that important, so I usually left 1-2 inch.
I guess next time I will use the bottling wand.
The first one that I made with honey was a Brooklyn Brewshop Beer Making Kit - Bruxelles Blonde.
Its very expensive (25 bucks for 1 gallon) but its also very good.
This one actually called for using honey instead of powder dextrose for priming and I could taste it a little in the final beer.
This one also carbonated really well, hence I'm a little confused as to why this current one is not so much carbonated.
Still not enough CO2 to my liking.
I'll wait another week and see how it is.
How can I increase carbonation in my next batch?
More sugar? higher temperature? less fermentation time?
So according to the calculator I should be using 5.5oz of dextrose. I used 4.5 instead.
So maybe more sugar would help.
Will definitely use the calculator next time for my beer type and use the amount of sugar they say.
Next time I want to add a bit of honey flavour to it, so maybe I'll use honey instead of dextrose.
Any hints on using Honey for priming?
- Posts: 2
- Joined: |20 Nov 2014|, 15:28
- Favourite Beer: Tankhouse...I guess
- Location: Bourget, Ontario
You typically want to transfer big beer (OG 1.055 and up) to a secondary fermenter so they don't pick up off flavor from the yeast cake, since they take longer to condition... Rarely I transfer my brew to secondary... more chance of infection aswell...
2 - 3 weeks in fermenter; bottle condition for 2 weeks at ambient temp (75ish); cold crash for 2 -3 days
- Posts: 338
- Joined: |26 Mar 2014|, 12:25
- Favourite Beer: IPA
- Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)
For every % of alcohol in the beer, it should condition for a week.
5% beer, condition for 5weeks before opening, 7%, seven weeks, etc, etc.
Now...that being said, every batch I have done has been 5 gallons, and everyone has had 4oz of priming sugar, batch primed by dissolving in boiling water, then boiled for 10mins and allowed to cool.
Have never had an issue other than one batch of IPA, I was getting a few that weren't carbing as fast as others. Some bottles I gave to friends said theirs was fine, but I had more than a few that I opened that had very little carb. Not sure why, only thing I can figure was the sugar didn't get mixed well enough in the bottling bucket (although I do every batch the same), only thing I can think is a friend was helping me bottle, and maybe some caps were as tight as they could have been with him on the capper. Have done batches since, same amount of sugar, same method of batch priming, I do all the capping, and there has been no issue. Not blaming my friend....but not sure what else it could be.