Flat flat flat why why why

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Nobbyipa
Favourite Beer: ipa

Re: Flat flat flat why why why

Post by Nobbyipa »

just opened up a xxxxx simcoe i bottled sunday

5 days in't bottle

cannot believe it's young yes but tastes fantastic
aroma is extreme

batch priming with boiled and cooled sugar water

kept at 22C in conditioning fridge

generally 2 weeks at 20c + then 2 weeks at 7c or lower usually works for all my beers some are ready surprisingly quickly like this one which ended really low which i think makes the yeast more hungry for the priming sugar making co2 quicker?
Was your FG higher like 1.010 +
if so i reccon it will take longer to carb
get it to +20C for a week then chill for a day and give it a go

xxxxx simcoe
OG 13 brix 1.053
FG 6 brix 1.006
6.14% ABV

:cheers:

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger »

lylo wrote:And get going on the next batch. This one will turn out great and you will be behind in production!!
Your beer will be fine. Lylo is right in suggesting you get started on your next batch right away. Let it carb for 2 weeks and age for another 2, then you will have a beer you will be proud to serve to your friends. But also, remember to "sample" along the way. As a infamous individual once said, Quality control is an important part of ........ some one has to do it. :cheers:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

lylo
Favourite Beer: SN Pale Ale

Post by lylo »

alepale wrote:Noted.

However, why do some books indicate to do the secondary fermenting pale?
What is the purpose of it?
Old school. Most advice now is to use only a primary fermentor. Buys some books and keep reading. There is sooo much to learn grasshopper! :cheers:
I don't get drunk, I get awesomer!

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

I use a secondary for lager beers that have to age for months. I don't really like to have the beer sit on the (dead) yeast for that long. It is not critical for ales though...

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing »

Typically I ferment in primary 2-3 weeks, then either transfer to secondary or bottle (depending on what else I am doing with the beer). I bottle condition for an additional 2 weeks. If you give yourself an average of one month time line for your beers you should be golden! CheerZ
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

alepale

Post by alepale »

wow. a lot of good info in this thread.

I guess I'll do primary only the next time around and see how it turns out.

What about the priming sugar? I didn't dissolve or boil it first.
I just threw it in and mixed for about 2-3 minutes.
The dextrose that I got was very fine, so I thought it'll dissolve itself.
When I tasted the last half pint (that didn't fill the last bottle), it tasted sweet so I imagine that the sugar was mixed it properly.

Should priming dextrose first be dissolved and boiled in water?

Nobbyipa
Favourite Beer: ipa

Post by Nobbyipa »

alepale wrote:wow. a lot of good info in this thread.

I guess I'll do primary only the next time around and see how it turns out.

What about the priming sugar? I didn't dissolve or boil it first.
I just threw it in and mixed for about 2-3 minutes.
The dextrose that I got was very fine, so I thought it'll dissolve itself.
When I tasted the last half pint (that didn't fill the last bottle), it tasted sweet so I imagine that the sugar was mixed it properly.

Should priming dextrose first be dissolved and boiled in water?
Two reasons why to boil and cool down
First that there sugar once boiled in 150 to 200 ml of water you know no nasties will be present and two cooled to bottling temp and stirred in thoroughly no air to your wort wait 5 15 mins then bottle
To get even priming

Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post by Mr_Tastyfish »

Exactly what Nobby said, boil some water and dissolve your priming sugar in it, then cool. You'll kill anything that may have been hiding in the dextrose, and make priming your batch evenly a much easier task.
Add the cooled priming sugar solution to your bottling bucket first, then rack your beer on top. A gentle stir will be all that's needed, if any at all.

alepale

Post by alepale »

Ok, So its been a week. I opened another one up (Quality Control, ya know).
It did become a bit more carbonated. The taste wasn't the best. Its a bit bitter. But I'm guessing that's just the beer type.
(My first batch was made with honey as priming sugar, and it tasted great.)
So maybe next time I will have to replace pure dextrose with honey. (how much honey would I use to replace 4.5 oz of dextrose?)

Anyway, the beer was clear and had a bit of head, which rather disappeared quickly .
So its still a bit too flat, but its getting there.
I'm guessing another week or so, and it should be good.
Also, as learned from this thread, I should leave only about 0.5 to 1 inch of space on top. The one I opened had about 1.5inch

Patience is a virtue.

But I think I'll start brewing another batch this week with my improved instructions.

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan »

Get yourself a bottling wand. Makes worrying about headspace a non-issue, as the volume of the wand in the bottle leaves exactly the right headspace when removed, consistently, each and every fill. Also prevents unnecesarry oxidization as they fill from the bottom up. How are you filling bottles now?

Also I have read that honey is about the least cost effective way of priming with very little flavour enhancement if any, and that sugar content varies with different honey so results can be inconsistent. Did your previous batch have any honey flavour come through? I have never used it but have made 2 attempts at a honey blonde using honey malt, and never seem to get much honey flavour, so I am considering using actual honey in addition to the honey malt in the next one...

Northern Brewers priming calc has honey as an option, so if you do use it again try their calculator here - http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

:cheers: