Bench Capper

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
baldguy80
Favourite Beer: Cream Ale

Bench Capper

Post by baldguy80 »

Hello folks;

I successfully bid on an online auction for various "winemaking stuff" and the picture attached is of a bench capper that was included in the lot. I can't seem to tell if the "cup" is appropriate for standard crowns, and I can't find a picture of a bench capper "cup" online anywhere to compare. (I just assumed the guy was using it for pushing corks into his wine bottles.) A close-up of the "cup", (not sure what the real term is) is the second picture. Does it look like it's appropriate for standard crowns? And if it is, can you use standard crowns on "twist off" style bottles??

Thanks for the input!
The capper
The capper
The "cup" (or "bowl"??) of the bench capper
The "cup" (or "bowl"??) of the bench capper
baldguy80 is waiting impatiently for it to be done...

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Re: Bench Capper

Post by Venari »

You *can* use crown caps on a twist off bottle, but keep in mind that you wont always get a tight seal. If I try to force a cap fully around the threads of a twist bottle, I sometimes break the bottle.

I just push on the capper until I hear the stress in the glass (push slowly). Once in a while you'll get a complete seal (I get more full seals on Labatt Blue bottles).
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB »

not sure about the one you have, and how it works but its substantially different then my bench capper at the business end. my bench capper has a removable bell that screws into it. the bell is kinda elongated so you can rock the bottle a little to free it once the cap is crimped and pushed into the bell. not sure but maybe yours is missing this bell

heres a pic of what i'm talking about
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/medi ... e_2236.jpg
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Nobbyipa
Favourite Beer: ipa

Post by Nobbyipa »

have a look at my one i have the same bell as SmokeyMcB

does not look like a crown capping bell you have on yours
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2325

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2325

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing »

I converted my Drill Press into a bench capper, with an attachment made at work. Does a great job, and cost me next to nothing. Maybe you can make a modification on your capper based on this. *please note the one of the measurements should have been 1/4" not 2/8 ths lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erXKHZl ... 8p314PyJwg

Hope this helps. CheerZ
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

baldguy80
Favourite Beer: Cream Ale

Post by baldguy80 »

Thanks for the video, GDB, it was very useful! (And I especially like the cameo from the bumblebee!) It certainly got me thinking along the lines of a slight modification. The bad news is that the bell is fixed to the "plunger", as in, I can't unscrew it. It's also 100% brass, so changing the shape of the bell might be a little much.

I think I'll take it to my LHBS and see what the shop-owner has to say about it. They're always helpful. And even though batch #1 is still conditioning, it's probably time to start planning batch #2 and do an ingredient run!
baldguy80 is waiting impatiently for it to be done...

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro »

I think I have the same capper but I don't use it, its a decoration in the brew room.

Have you tried to cap a bottle with it?
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...