s.g. before bottling?

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
rubberboots
Favourite Beer: draught

s.g. before bottling?

Post by rubberboots »

I'm curious, I've only made one kit before this and I have a question. On the day3-5 (secondary fermentation) section of the instructions it says the s.g. should be 1.020 or lower. For the day 20 section (priming and bottling) it doesn't say what the s.g. should be. Is the secondary fermentation mostly just to let the particulate settle?

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Re: s.g. before bottling?

Post by SmokeyMcB »

pretty much. lots use a second vessel but on the other hand, lots just leave it in the primary vessel till packaging. i do either or, for no particular reason. depends on my mood.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

It depends on what level of carbonation you want (independent of primary or secondary)...

There's tables, if you add xx SG to the bottle, that can be converted to CO2 and hence you get the correct carbonation pressure. So the more sugar you add the more CO2 your beer will have - independent on where your Final Gravity is. THe only condition here is that you need to make sure the beer is 100% done fermenting...

rubberboots

Post by rubberboots »

Doc_Drive wrote:It depends on what level of carbonation you want (independent of primary or secondary)...

There's tables, if you add xx SG to the bottle, that can be converted to CO2 and hence you get the correct carbonation pressure. So the more sugar you add the more CO2 your beer will have - independent on where your Final Gravity is. THe only condition here is that you need to make sure the beer is 100% done fermenting...

Sorry no offense but to much thought in that for me lol. I'm just adding the amount of sugar the kit tells me to when I go to bottle. Is the s.g. going to change much between the beginning of "secondary fermentation" and the end of it when you go to bottle it.?

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB »

no. theres really no need to use a secondary fermentation vessel. once the fermentation is finished and a stable specific gravity is reached there will be no more fermentation unless more fermentables (sugars) are added. transferring to a secondary vessel is only really necessary if you plan to age the beer in bulk or if you want to add more fermentables (fruit, sugar, etc) or flavorings. this is all very strongly debated between homebrewers. i've read that back in the day, the yeasts were not as good/fresh as we get now so it was strongly recommended to get the beer off the yeast cake as soon as fermentation was finished (to avoid off flavors). our present yeast is better/fresher so off flavors from the yeast cake are unlikely. maybe even the opposite, the extra time on the yeast may help clean up any off flavors that may have been created during the fermentation. hard to say really but i've done batches side by side, one using a secondary(two weeks primary two weeks secondary) and the other just leaving it in primary the whole time(four weeks in primary) and cant really notice a difference in the batches.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

rubberboots

Post by rubberboots »

Thanks but I'm new to this so I'm just going by what the instructions say right now until I get more familiar with the process. I was just wanting to now about what the s.g. should read before I add sugar for priming.

Doc_Drive

Post by Doc_Drive »

you want an SG that hasn't changed for three consecutive days... :)

rubberboots

Post by rubberboots »

Thank you!

Doc_Drive

Post by Doc_Drive »

you're welcome! :)

Doc_Drive

Post by Doc_Drive »

where is your sg now? and where did it start?