Bottling First Brew - Observation & Conclusions

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
baldguy80
Favourite Beer: Cream Ale

Bottling First Brew - Observation & Conclusions

Post by baldguy80 »

So I took winger's suggestion to ferment for two weeks and then racked and bottled my first batch, as per his instruction. I'm now waiting...

Here's my observation: While bottling, I sampled some. It was room temperature warm and completely flat. Two things I'd never tolerate in a beer. Yet it tasted fantastic and trying it was oddly rewarding.

Conclusion I: Drinking warm flat beer that you made is only understandable by other homebrewers.

Conclusion II: I'm hooked forever, aren't I?
baldguy80 is waiting impatiently for it to be done...

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Re: Bottling First Brew - Observation & Conclusions

Post by Venari »

Tasting throughout the brewing process is a good way to gauge how the end product will turn out.

You live in a city where supplies are cheap and easy to come across. If I can do it way up here, you're definitely hooked.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH »

I always taste mine after fermentation and again before bottling (I rack mine to a secondary for a week or so), despite it being flat, it usually tastes pretty good. There are some beers that just don't taste right unless they have some carbonation to them. For example, I have a Hacker Pschorr Marzen Oktoberfest in the bottle. After fermentation it tasted "ok", after I racked it to a secondary and got ready to bottle, it actually tasted much better, but I am sure the CO2 will elevate the flavor profile quite a bit one it is ready in the bottles.

On the flip side, I did a Session Ale with Galaxy and Wakatu hops, and it tasted like a bright ray of sunshine even though it was room temperature and flat. It should be just on the cusp of being ready to drink this weekend...can't wait!

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger »

baldguy80 wrote:So I took winger's suggestion to ferment for two weeks and then racked and bottled my first batch, as per his instruction. I'm now waiting...

Here's my observation: While bottling, I sampled some. It was room temperature warm and completely flat. Two things I'd never tolerate in a beer. Yet it tasted fantastic and trying it was oddly rewarding.

Conclusion I: Drinking warm flat beer that you made is only understandable by other homebrewers.

Conclusion II: I'm hooked forever, aren't I?
Quality control is an ongoing process, someone has to do it and you shouldn't expect anyone else to be as good as you are. Samples should be taken regularly and rechecked as required. I just this week checked a Rye Beer that was only in the bottle for a week, 1 week before it had time to completely carbonate. Of course it was slightly flat and still very cloudy. I'll recheck in another week and again on a weekly basis until I am happy to serve what is left to any willing quality control expert. Recipes are guidelines, substitutions should be made as required. :cheers:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan »

You are definitely hooked. I also taste on a weekly basis after bottling, if it tastes good, I might taste a couple times a week hah. Better get to brewing the next batch now, that way you will hopefully still have some of this one left by the time the next is done...

:stirpot:

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing »

First of all, congrats for entering the world of home brewing..so awesome! Second, great advice to wait the two weeks..in my experience patience is rewarded by much better tasting beer - usually don't bottle until at least the two-three week mark; after bottling give your beer time you will be surprised on how in only a couple of days the taste of your beer will improve. You are definitely hooked my friend. CheerZ
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

baldguy80

Post by baldguy80 »

Goulaigan wrote:You are definitely hooked. I also taste on a weekly basis after bottling, if it tastes good, I might taste a couple times a week hah. Better get to brewing the next batch now, that way you will hopefully still have some of this one left by the time the next is done...

:stirpot:

Goulaigan, I think I understand why you brew 23 litres at a time! The temptation to 'taste-test' on a daily basis is just awful!!

baldguy80

Post by baldguy80 »

Greedy Dragon Brewing wrote:First of all, congrats for entering the world of home brewing..so awesome! Second, great advice to wait the two weeks..in my experience patience is rewarded by much better tasting beer - usually don't bottle until at least the two-three week mark; after bottling give your beer time you will be surprised on how in only a couple of days the taste of your beer will improve. You are definitely hooked my friend. CheerZ
Thanks GDB, I'll take your comments as validation that I should be taste-testing regularly! *grin* Actually, tonight's taste-test was a little on the cider-y side, so I checked what John Palmer had to say, which was basically: too early, be patient!