Pre-boiling water for a batch

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
baldguy80
Favourite Beer: Cream Ale

Pre-boiling water for a batch

Post by baldguy80 »

Any of you folks pre-boil (and then cool) water for a batch? If so, how do you store it? Unused carboys?? And is it worth the trouble? (I'm using "city water", as opposed to a well, and I'm wondering if it's a good practice to pre-boil water for use.)

Thanks for the input! (And thanks for your patience too, I feel like I've been hogging the "Beginner Home Brewing" board!)
baldguy80 is waiting impatiently for it to be done...

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Re: Pre-boiling water for a batch

Post by Wingeezer »

Presume you mean boiling to remove chlorine?

Should do the trick ok, but I have been using RV type water filters with hose connections for this purpose since I got back into home brewing a couple of years ago and it seems to work fine.

It will remove chlorine, chloramine, and various other elements such as lead etc. You can buy the filters at CTC and probably Walmart in the
RV section. Probably about $25.

I use the filter for about a year for beer making and also with our travel trailer when we go away and replace it yearly. I normally by them in the US where they are a bit less expensive.

Between use, I put the end plugs (provided) and store the filter, wet, in a fridge, which is what they recommend.

Not sure of there is much advantage over boiling, but less trouble - and I only do it when I am ready to fill the boil kettle.

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

I measure my water out the night before; chlorine will evaporate on its own given 12-18 hours. Chloramine will not be driven of by boiling, unless you boil for extended periods of time (i.e. 20+ hours), so if that's in your water you need to either filter like Brian does or precipitate with a campden tablet.

Bryan

EDIT: if relying on an overnight evaporation, you want to use a wide-mouthed container (e.g. a bucket). The narrow opening of a carboy will limit the rate of evaporation.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post by Mr_Tastyfish »

I use tap water for my brews, and have previously used a faucet-mounted filter to remove unwanted chlorine/chloramine from the water. The filter was only about $20 at crappy-tire, and works well. However, because it is designed to filter drinking water right at the tap, it has a rather low flow rate and filling several pitchers at the kitchen sink, then pouring into my kettle just became too tedious. Also, the filter cartridge should be replaced after around 2000 litres.
I now use the same water, but rather than filtering, I simply fill my kettle and add a campden tablet to remove the chlorine/chloramine. Cheap and easy... Just the way I like it.

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat »

Like many other brewers, I just use straight tap water, treated with 1/4 campden tablet per 5 gallons. For strike/sparge water, I actually use hot water from my tap. I figure why waste propane and time heating up cold water when there's a huge tank of water already at 130-ish degrees F? Cuts several minutes off my brew day.

I sprinkle in roughly 1/4 of the crushed-up Campden tablet while the pot is filling with hot water from the faucet. I then give it a good stir, put the lid on, and carry it outside to the burner to heat it the rest of the way to strike temperature.