Pooched Brew?

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
baldguy80
Favourite Beer: Cream Ale

Pooched Brew?

Post by baldguy80 »

Hopefully I'm just being a terribly nervous newbie, but it appears my fermentation has abruptly stopped. (It's a hopped extract kit and my first shot at homebrewin'.) Everything went in the carboy on Monday evening and I had a vigorous fermenting action by Tuesday morning, such that the airlock had to be replaced with a blow-off contraption. After things settled down, I've had a traditional airlock on the carboy since Thursday, enjoying the bubbles and a faint beery aroma, (when you put your nose over the airlock, of course!). Now when I look at my airlock, (which is now Saturday afternoon) there ain't nuthin' happenin'! (And I'm too scared spitless to pull off the airlock to take a peek in the carboy!)

I'm really hoping this is an instance when the brewing jedis here say, "Patience, padawan, patience..." (I feel like I need a beer while I wait for my beer.)

Slightly anxious,
*80*
baldguy80 is waiting impatiently for it to be done...

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Re: Pooched Brew?

Post by Wingeezer »

From your description, I doubt that you have anything to worry about. If you really want to firm it, you could just take a hydrometer reading, I'm guessing that you will find fermentation is complete.

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

baldguy80
Favourite Beer: Cream Ale

Post by baldguy80 »

Thanks Brian! And you're absolutely correct, my hydrometer reading is right in line with what the little booklet said it should be. I'll take another reading tomorrow to ensure that it's the same before bottling.

Question: I drank the sample that I used for the hydrometer reading. It definitely tastes "beery", but it's got an almost "bitter twinge" to it. Is that the yeast?? Or just beer that ain't finished?
baldguy80 is waiting impatiently for it to be done...

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

You only brewed it on Monday. I would transfer to my secondary at this point and let sit for another 5 days to "clean up". A lot of people here just leave it in the primary. Age it for at least 10 days before bottling. I usually go longer.

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari »

When it comes time to bottle it, remember NOT to put too much sugar in the bottle. I've had one bottle bomb (cap flew off and wound up with a beer volcano).

If you're using one of those glass bottles from the LCBO or The Beer Store, half a teaspoon of sugar will suffice for carbonation.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan »

Bitter twinge? For me, bitter is good, twinge maybe not, could be extract twang, which aging can improve, but not necessarily eliminate.

Forget the secondary, see other thread in newb section (i think yours?), wait an extra day to take another reading, if unchanged over 3 days and its near the gravity it should be for that recipe, its done. Won't hurt to give it a few more days either...

As far as priming, unless you have those individual carb drops, your better to batch prime rather than try and mess with adding sugar to every bottle, which is also a contamination risk (and PITA). Check out a priming calculator like the Northern Brewer one (google this) whatever sugar it tells you to use add to a small amount of water and boil for a couple mins, cool, add to another vessel, rack beer on top, and bottle from there...

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger »

Simple brew, simple bottling. Ferment for 2 weeks, rack and add 1 cup sugar per 5 gal, or equivalent, bottle and let set for another 2 weeks to carbonate. Wait 2 more weeks if you can. Enjoy :drunk:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro »

your brew is fine, let it sit now another 1-2 weeks take another hydro and bottle - I would batch carb, but I always weigh the carbing sugar you can use a online calculator

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

Most of my brews are mostly done on day 5-6. I use Wyeast 1098 British Ale a lot though. I just leave it for 12-14 days and keg or bottle. My current Blonde Ale with US-05 seems to be done with little activity and today is day 6. The more you brew, the more you will get to know how different yeast work. Baldguy80, if you didn't use any temp control, your beer will ferment stronger and faster. I ferment @ 66F.