Adding a beer kit enhancer instead of sugar question

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
gzussturbo
Favourite Beer: amber

Adding a beer kit enhancer instead of sugar question

Post by gzussturbo »

So, i'll be working with pre-hopped Muntons premium red ale and irish stout. Instead of adding the 1kg of dextrose to each batch, I picked up the 1kg Muntons beer kit enhancer. Do I still need to add any sugar along with the beer kit enhancer before pitching my yeast with either of these kits? (each kit getting 1 kg of beer kit enhancer)

also, do I still add 5oz of priming sugar before bottling? (i'm going to do the boil-in-2-cups-of-water method and gently stir it into my wort in my bottling bucket instead of adding sugar to each bottle individually)

Thanks in advance!
Everybody needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: Adding a beer kit enhancer instead of sugar question

Post by Reignman »

I think the enhancer is a substitute for the sugar. I would leave the sugar out and just use the enhancer. Yes, add the sugar to your racked off wort in your bottling bucket. Boil it on the stove first to sanitize it. Here is what CHBS says about it.

www.homebrewsupplies.ca/product/305-mun ... -enhancer/

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari »

I used a cooper's brew enhancer instead of dextrose. I've also used "carbonation drops" instead of adding sugar to the bottles. I found that there is no head when I poured that beer, but it was still carbonated.

The package on the brew enhancer said "head retention", so I'm not sure why I didn't get any head when I poured the bottle into a glass.

Have cooper's carbonation drops been known to eliminate the head? Did I get a bad batch of brew enhancer? The beer itself tasted fine.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

I have used the carbonation drops but they had no affect on the head in my Belgians.

Ryanmar333

Post by Ryanmar333 »

I just made my first beer a coopers dark ale with muntons brew enhancer and carb drops, turned out great and has decent head