looking for a larger brew pot

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Ericb697

looking for a larger brew pot

Post by Ericb697 »

looking for a 6-7L aluminum pot. does anyone in the essex county area know where to get a cheap one? Looking to spend only like $20 MAYBE 30$ I figure if I can sneak a all grain setup in a piece at a time the wife may not notice!

Thank you

Sixstring78

Re: looking for a larger brew pot

Post by Sixstring78 »

If you plan on doing all grain, then you're going to need more then a 6-7 litre pot. I would suggest looking for a pot that can hold closer to 30 litres. This should suffice for doing 5 gallon batches.
Here's a link to a add on Kijiji in Windsor. Pretty good price for the whole setup. $65 including the burner, pot, thermometer ect. (typical turkey fryer setup).
http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z289423922

You might as well not try to hide your purchases from your wife. lol Once you start down the path of all grain there is a endless number of pieces of equipment you need/want to buy to make things more efficient or to help produce better beer. I'm in the process of converting my 3 kegs now. I know I'm looking at A LOT of small pieces of hardware that need to be attached/put into the kegs which means a considerable amount of money. Then there's the brew stand, burners, gas pipping and fittings, thermometers, false bottom, dip tubes, pumps, hoses ect.
Then after that's done I also want to get a fridge for lagering and a fridge for carbonating/aging. These are all the things my wife knows about and she just shakes her head now and says I'm crazy. lol
I'm going to give it some time and let the keggle conversion pass before I tell her about my plans to build a pole barn that I want to use as my brewery/pub. :)
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

Ericb697

Post by Ericb697 »

oops thanks 6string, i actually must have had a brain fart i was meaning 6-7 gallon which i believe is still just shy of 30L. My other hobbies include fishing, shooting and kayaking so the ol lady already knows what its like just to shake her head and walk away lol

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 »

You should combine your other hobbies into one big one. Hop in your kayak with your gun and go shoot some fish. lol
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

Ericb697

Post by Ericb697 »

ROFL!!! I almost ruined my laptop with a mouthful of coffee over that!

Josh

Post by Josh »

If you don't get that one on kijiji, Walmart has the exact same thing. There's a 30 qt (28 L) for about $75 and a 36 qt (34 L) for about $85 both come with a cast iron propane burner. Thats where I ended up getting mine

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX »

Sixstring78 wrote:You should combine your other hobbies into one big one. Hop in your kayak with your gun and go shoot some fish. lol
Drunk :P
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

DoubleDragon

Post by DoubleDragon »

I've seen 34 litre aluminum stock pots (almost 9 gallons) for sale at Canadian Tire for about $65.
Alternatively, you can buy the turkey fryer set up mentioned earlier there, which comes with a 7 gallon aluminum pot AND a propane burner for the same price.

Jack

Post by Jack »

I found a 36 quart, which is 34liters or 9 gallons, at Canadian Tire in a turkey fryer set on sale for $75 or $80. Large enough to deal with boilovers.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.