Went and picked up some stuff today!

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Ericb697

Went and picked up some stuff today!

Post by Ericb697 »

picked up a bottleing bucket, hydrometer, extract kit some muntons beer kit enhancer from Bryan at IHB. Well all that I have to say is AMAZING service and hospitality and the man pours a mean brew to boot! Cheers and thanks for the gear Bryan. Oh and about ten minutes from home, I remembered the question I had. You take the first reading on the hydrometer when you put it all in the primary, and bottle when the SG remains steady for 2 or 3 days. But when do you take the second reading?

Thanks again

Eric

Sixstring78

Re: Went and picked up some stuff today!

Post by Sixstring78 »

You take your first reading prior to pitching your yeast on your brew day.
When your hydrometer reads a steady reading over a 2 day period fermentation is finished. Take your final reading just before you bottle/keg.
Most hydrometers will have a ABV chart on the side of them. A quick way to figure out approximately how much alcohol is in your brew is look at your OG and FG.
Let's say you had 1.050OG and 1.010FG, that's a 40 point difference. Go down to 1.040 on the hydrometer, spin the hydrometer around to the ABV percentage and you'll get a rough idea of how much alcohol you have.

And I agree about IHB's service!
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

Jack

Post by Jack »

If you're asking how long to wait to take the second reading, it depends a little bit on whether you plan to rack to a secondary. If you're leaving it in the primary, i usually give it a couple weeks before i expose it to anything just to be safe. If you're racking after a week or so, check it then and see if it's close to what your fg should be and go from there. If it's good, check again the next day. If it's not there yet, give it a few more days. If anyone with more experience has a better take on it, please correct me.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim »

Same here, I just leave in primary, don't even open the top for 2 weeks. Sometimes it's 'done' in 3 days, sometimes 5 but it's always clearer, and the yeast has settled and compacted making clearer nicer beer in 2 weeks.
I add gelatin finings after 2 weeks give it another couple of days and bottle
never had an issue with bottle priming with the finings
I know it's hard with your first batch but patience makes for better beer.

Ericb697

Post by Ericb697 »

what does the gelatin finings do? Having patients letting the beer age isnt an issue lol its starting the beer soon enough i still have something to drink lol

Jack

Post by Jack »

Ericb697 wrote:what does the gelatin finings do? Having patients letting the beer age isnt an issue lol its starting the beer soon enough i still have something to drink lol
Gelatin finings help clear the sediment in your beer.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Ericb697

Post by Ericb697 »

oh ok cool!

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim »

I've tried leaving the beer even a month, and it still never gets as clear as when I do the gelatin finings.
It drops all the sediment out, and compacts the trube very tightly so it doesn't swirl up when bottling. Basically turns the goop at the bottom into jello
Never noticed or heard anybody mention a taste from it, so I use it every batch, unless it's wheat or meant to be cloudy.

Tony

Post by Tony »

SunyJim wrote:I've tried leaving the beer even a month, and it still never gets as clear as when I do the gelatin finings.
It drops all the sediment out, and compacts the trube very tightly so it doesn't swirl up when bottling. Basically turns the goop at the bottom into jello
Never noticed or heard anybody mention a taste from it, so I use it every batch, unless it's wheat or meant to be cloudy.

I use it for ales and sometimes for lagers. Usually with lagers, I just let cold and time take care of it.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....