I´m new and price ideas

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
ravelperez11
Posts: 8
Joined: |25 Jun 2011|, 21:52

I´m new and price ideas

Post by ravelperez11 »

Hi everyone, im new at the home brewing hobby, i never done it before and i dont have any of the kits, i checked some kits for sale online..
The prices that i found (including recipe for 5 or more gallons) and bottles and caps are between 170$ to 200$,
Is it a decent price? im thinking about getting them, nd just making sure they are not out of price range..

Thanks :)
Student , no money to buy first kit :s donations for beer kit.. lol :)

gmac
Posts: 50
Joined: |22 Jun 2011|, 17:32

Re: I´m new and price ideas

Post by gmac »

What's in the kit? If you want to do extract beer on the kitchen stove I don't think it will cost that much.

I wouldn't buy bottles unless you think you're really going to get into this. Save up 2L pop bottles (get your friends to keep them for you) and wash and sanitize them. Should save you some money. Of course, then you have to drink 2L at a time but then again, you need to repay those friends for saving bottles for you...

Oh, and before you brew anything go get a copy of John Palmer's "How to Brew" and read it. It's a great place to start and will serve you for a long time as you become more and more obsessed, er um I mean, enthused about homebrewing.

ravelperez11
Posts: 8
Joined: |25 Jun 2011|, 21:52

Re: I´m new and price ideas

Post by ravelperez11 »

hmm think about it.

Thanks! :)
Student , no money to buy first kit :s donations for beer kit.. lol :)

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 441
Joined: |16 Apr 2011|, 00:23
Location: Grafton, Ontario

Re: I´m new and price ideas

Post by Jack »

Try and find a local wine/beer making shop. I bought a complete starter kit for $50 and $20 for the extract kit.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

ravelperez11
Posts: 8
Joined: |25 Jun 2011|, 21:52

Re: I´m new and price ideas

Post by ravelperez11 »

gmac wrote:What's in the kit? If you want to do extract beer on the kitchen stove I don't think it will cost that much.

I wouldn't buy bottles unless you think you're really going to get into this. Save up 2L pop bottles (get your friends to keep them for you) and wash and sanitize them. Should save you some money. Of course, then you have to drink 2L at a time but then again, you need to repay those friends for saving bottles for you...

Oh, and before you brew anything go get a copy of John Palmer's "How to Brew" and read it. It's a great place to start and will serve you for a long time as you become more and more obsessed, er um I mean, enthused about homebrewing.
Attachments
Heres the pic of the checkout<br />but i dont have enought money right now for that
Heres the pic of the checkout
but i dont have enought money right now for that
Student , no money to buy first kit :s donations for beer kit.. lol :)

ravelperez11
Posts: 8
Joined: |25 Jun 2011|, 21:52

Re: I´m new and price ideas

Post by ravelperez11 »

Jack wrote:Try and find a local wine/beer making shop. I bought a complete starter kit for $50 and $20 for the extract kit.
found one at gogle maps!!
how come i never had that idea!..oh wait.. im under 18, can i buy in that kinda store?
Student , no money to buy first kit :s donations for beer kit.. lol :)

ravelperez11
Posts: 8
Joined: |25 Jun 2011|, 21:52

Re: I´m new and price ideas

Post by ravelperez11 »

Anyone knows if i can buy in that kinda store??
Student , no money to buy first kit :s donations for beer kit.. lol :)

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 441
Joined: |16 Apr 2011|, 00:23
Location: Grafton, Ontario

Re: I´m new and price ideas

Post by Jack »

That starter kit is probably about the same as the one i bought, it's the extras that are costing you. I had empty bottles i hadn't returned and made basic extract kits, the one you have there i believe is an allgrain kit. As for being a minor...not sure of the legal age for brewing, only consuming, and i have no idea if they sell the supplies to minors. Can't 'officially' condone underage drinking even though i did a lot of it myself.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

ravelperez11
Posts: 8
Joined: |25 Jun 2011|, 21:52

Re: I´m new and price ideas

Post by ravelperez11 »

Jack wrote:That starter kit is probably about the same as the one i bought, it's the extras that are costing you. I had empty bottles i hadn't returned and made basic extract kits, the one you have there i believe is an allgrain kit. As for being a minor...not sure of the legal age for brewing, only consuming, and i have no idea if they sell the supplies to minors. Can't 'officially' condone underage drinking even though i did a lot of it myself.
wow thanks for the info, well i think i will just wait some time till i have enought money, maybe pass by the store ti check it out and prices, if i cant buy it at the store i will get it from the website, im doing it with 2 friends, so we can put money together.
PS:Everyone did underage drinking..lol!

Thanks everyone for the answers, i apreciate that. :)
Student , no money to buy first kit :s donations for beer kit.. lol :)

User avatar
Reignman
Posts: 1861
Joined: |24 Mar 2011|, 10:28
Favourite Beer: Pilsners
Location: Cavan, Ont.

Re: I´m new and price ideas

Post by Reignman »

You can always brew the beer, let it age until you are 19 :) I know, I know, that may be impossible to do.

Post Reply