Where can I find a Cooper's Micro Brew Kit?

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Lee
Favourite Beer: Cream Ales

Where can I find a Cooper's Micro Brew Kit?

Post by Lee »

Hi, that sounds like a dumb question, but after the almighty Google search turned up only non-Canadian suppliers I am trying to find someone, preferably in Halifax or nearby, who sells the Cooper's Micro Brew Kit (the one with the fermenter and spigot and bottles and everything). I tried my local Wine Kitz and they don't sell it, I tried makebeer.ca (apparently the official Canadian site for this kit) and it's not bringing up anything besides the logos and subject headings, and in all honesty I don't want to pay $30 to ship it from the US because, well, that $30 can buy me more beer to brew!

If anyone has knowledge of where I can get this in Halifax, or even online with reasonable shipping charges, please let a wannabe new brewer know!

Thanks!
Lee

gm-
Favourite Beer: Westmalle Dubbel

Re: Where can I find a Cooper's Micro Brew Kit?

Post by gm- »

Why this specific kit?

Noble Grape (noblegrape.ca Burnside in Darthmouth) will have everything you need to start brewing. Sometimes they have starter kit deals with festa brew kits (which are greatly superior to the Coopers kits), where you get a festa brew of choice, fermentation bucket and everything else you need (-bottles) for 70-80$.

Bottles are very cheap at redemption depots, and I would go for glass as these plastic bottles are not ideal.

Also, check out the brewnosers, http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/ , the main brewclub in Atlantic Canada.

Cheers,
Jon
Coming up: Dubbel
Fermenting:
On tap: Cucumber Saison / Simcoe MO SMaSH

Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks Jon for your reply.

I chose this specific kit after some considerable research. Given I am a newbie I don't have any of the stuff needed in order to brew, so this kit wins points because it comes with everything. If I try the Cooper's beer kits and don't like them I can always brew with other kits using the same hardware which comes with the micro brew kit - another point for this (although that's true of any complete kit). I've had Cooper's beer in Australia, it was decent. This kit doesn't take up much space at all. The fermenter has a built in spigot, making bottling easier. Given other time and cost constraints, I figure this kit ticks enough boxes to make it my kit of choice for my first attempt at home brewing. I would rather use glass bottles too, but for camping trips etc the plastic is lighter to carry.

I hadn't thought of Noble Grape...and there is one on Quinpool Rd too which is closer to where I live so I will check it out for sure, thanks for the tip.
I will also look at the brewnosers site, thanks for that.

I appreciate the quick reply!
YipYap Brewing Co

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro »

gm- has a good point, you don't need a specific kit like coopers - visit you local store and they can set you up with everything you need, and maybe cheaper, I know around here you could get a starter kit for $70+/- a few bucks, and if you get one with a Festa brew kit, very easy and great brew
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks for the input. I have read many good things about Festa Brew and, since you guys are all more experienced than I at this, I shall take your advice and go to the LHBS amd get set up that way.

One of the themes I've picked up on is, home brewing doesn't stay simple for long ;) as the attraction of custom brewing and all grain catches up with you. I figured the all in one kit was one way to keep it simple for a while but, as you pointed out, places like Noble Grape can help with that too.

Thanks for the replies, here's to a successful first brew in the near future!
Lee
YipYap Brewing Co

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim »

I really appreciate the design of my coopers kit
The fermenter isn't just some soft plastic pale, or a slippery too small 5 gallon glass wine carboy.
It's a well thought out 8 gallon specifically designed beer fermenter featuring smooth sided hard plastic, no corners, a curved bottom to collect the yeast. A valve that clicks in with no threads with a bottling wand. Like the removable krausen collar as well.
I would hold out for the Coopers kit too. Once you have it, you can brew anything you want and not worry about blow off tubes and lids popping off when brewing 5, 6, even 7 gallon batches.

I bought mine complete home brewing. http://completehomebrewing.com/
email the owner Gord Mackie gordmackie@cogeco.ca to get pricing and shipping for the new DIY kit.

gm-
Favourite Beer: Westmalle Dubbel

Post by gm- »

SunyJim wrote:I really appreciate the design of my coopers kit
The fermenter isn't just some soft plastic pale, or a slippery too small 5 gallon glass wine carboy.
It's a well thought out 8 gallon specifically designed beer fermenter featuring smooth sided hard plastic, no corners, a curved bottom to collect the yeast. A valve that clicks in with no threads with a bottling wand. Like the removable krausen collar as well.
I would hold out for the Coopers kit too. Once you have it, you can brew anything you want and not worry about blow off tubes and lids popping off when brewing 5, 6, even 7 gallon batches.

I bought mine complete home brewing. http://completehomebrewing.com/
email the owner Gord Mackie gordmackie@cogeco.ca to get pricing and shipping for the new DIY kit.
Most carboys are 6 gallons, some 6.5 which is plenty for most batches. I have also yet to see a fermentation bucket made out of soft plastic. Most LHBS sell nice fermentation buckets for that take 7-10 gallons with spigots for bottling that are way cheaper than the Coopers kit.

This kit at Ontariobeerkegs is also very good deal http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Complete ... deluxe.htm

Has everything you need to get started brewing with extract/partial mash, and you only need to add a cooler mashtun to be set up for all grain.
Coming up: Dubbel
Fermenting:
On tap: Cucumber Saison / Simcoe MO SMaSH

Swivel

Post by Swivel »

I see. Couple of Cooper's-style pails FS locally and I could use another fermenter and a dedicated bottling bucket. What should I pay for the pair?

If it were a full kit, I'd hook up the OP but it's been parted out.
Primary: Caramel Amber
Bottled:Honey Blonde, Root Beer, Albertan Amber, Pomegranate/Wheat Ale, Brown/Vanilla/Maple Porters, Caramel Amber, Milk Stout, Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale
Next:
Honey Blonde II

TheWineBrewer
Favourite Beer: free

Post by TheWineBrewer »

Hey I got a great video showing what you get in a Coopers DIY Beer Kit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCQS17DdOO8 and a great video showing how to make it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_huavnBfZc