if you had some cash and were just starting out....

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Johnny 5

if you had some cash and were just starting out....

Post by Johnny 5 »

What equipment would you get?

I sold my old harley rims/rubber and now have $3-400 i can spend on brewing and only brewing (rest went towards a nice fathers day gift to the old man)

What would you recomend for me to pick up?

oh yea, and they have to ship to canada if its online (some shops aren't shipping here for some reason)

remember tho, just starting out

Thanks

Randy

Re: if you had some cash and were just starting out....

Post by Randy »

Hi Johnny 5-I would buy a turkey fryer thats the burner and the pot,a cooler to make a mash tun,wart chiller,a temperature,propane tank,a big spoon,a timer,cleaning stuff 5-star,some pals,air locks-then you will need some grains,hops,yeast...i think 3-400 bucks will do it....good luck...cheers......................

gmac

Post by gmac »

Have you ever brewed before? I'm going to assume not or limited.

I'd get a turkey fryer like the other post said but you don't want to use the pot for both beer and deep frying because I can never get all the oil out of my turkey pot, even when I scrub it. Get a good aluminum pot (stainless is better but more expensive) about 8 gallons in size (I prefer doing full boils) or just keep the pot that comes with it just for beer. Someway to cool the pot (sink full of ice water can work but a full pot is heavy). A big stainless spoon (get 2 or 3 since you'll probably misplace it when you need it). Something to ferment in. I use buckets and glass carboys. I'd go with buckets since they are cheaper, easier to clean and less dangerous (carboys are slippery and glass and can break). You'll need to get new ones in a year or so if they get scratched up. Air locks, rubber bungs, auto-siphon, Star-San (no-rinse sanitizer), a hydrometer (very important), thermometer and a capper that you will eventually need. You'll need bottles and I don't like twist-offs so you'll have to find old-style bottles.

For ingredients, I'd start with 6 lbs of LME and add some specialty grains, we can discuss that before you get ready to brew.

If you want to do all grain, you'll need more gear but since most people start out using extracts, this should do you for now.

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX »

gmac is bang on as far as necessities. When I started all-grain brewing (brewing from the grain instead of canned extracts), this is what I had:

- Turkey fryer setup (propane tank, burner, ~10 gallon pot...Cambodian Tire has these ~$70)
- Buckets with air-locks to ferment in (3 or 4) (~$7 each bung, airlock, and bucket incl.)
- A mash tun OR nylon straining bag (~$5-$30 depending which you use and how you build your mashtun...I really need to post pics of how I made mine...very cheap, and works very well)
- Distilled water, or spring water (tap water is not recommended) (~$5/18L)
- Large, long stainless spoon (some people use wooden dowels. Personally, I use a ~4ft length of untreated 1x4" maple)
- A grain kit would be the easiest way to start, comes with yeast (do the upgrade to us-05), instructions, hops, etc (I recommend the brew-it AG kits from ihomebrewing.ca --specifically the blonde ale) (~$25)
- Sanitizer (I recommend star-san since it is a no-rinse sanitizer) (~$15)
- I keg my beer, but you can start by saving 2L pop bottles to bottle your beer (~$0-250 depending on setup)

The thermometer comes with the turkey fryer, and the hydrometer (measures density of liquids) is a great tool to have--it allows you to see the alcohol content when fermentation is done).
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Jack

Post by Jack »

I just bought a turkey fryer from Canadian Tire for $99 with a 36qt pot (great to reduce boil-overs) and a 30L Coleman jug for $39 also from Canadian Tire. My lhbs sells a beginner kit for $50 that include a pail, carboy, spoon, siphoning tube and hose, hydrometer, stick on thermometer, bag of caps, airlock, bung, and sanitizer. Less than $200 and just need a wort chiller.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

XXXXX
Administrator

Post by XXXXX »

Awesome! What type of mashtun are you going to build?
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Jack

Post by Jack »

XXXXX wrote:Awesome! What type of mashtun are you going to build?
I plan on using steel braided hose for a filter screen and maybe some perforated tubing inside the lid for sparging. Hopefully a trip to Home Depot for supplies and some copper tubing for a chiller is in store for tomorrow. Holidays this week should give me plenty of time to get it all together. :D
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

XXXXX
Administrator

Post by XXXXX »

Jack wrote:
XXXXX wrote:Awesome! What type of mashtun are you going to build?
I plan on using steel braided hose for a filter screen and maybe some perforated tubing inside the lid for sparging. Hopefully a trip to Home Depot for supplies and some copper tubing for a chiller is in store for tomorrow. Holidays this week should give me plenty of time to get it all together. :D
Very nice! Congrats on the new setup! :D
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*