Starting up, but need some advice

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Johnny 5

Starting up, but need some advice

Post by Johnny 5 »

So after deciding to finally get into this, im taking the plunge

well right now i can't decide if i want to start doing the extract or the all grain brewing.

Im just starting to get into this hobby and have been asking people that i know that do this (closest person is in vancouver) and he's recommended to start with extract. well I contacted the local micro brew (im in saskatoon btw) and the guy there said to go the all grain way.

any suggestions for a starter on which way to go?

Im leaning towards the all grain because i believe the micro brew would help out and i can buy all the ingrediants from them directly.

any suggestions?

sorry for the grammar today, long day at work

Sixstring78

Re: Starting up, but need some advice

Post by Sixstring78 »

I've just recently started brewing myself as well.
I started with extract kits as I started to get the equipment necessary to do all grain.
I did 3 extract kits and the moved on to all grain and have done 3 batches of all grain.
As we speak I am enjoying my first ever AG brew now that it has carbonated. It's the Steam Beer kit from ihomebrewing.ca.
It is leaps and bounds tastier then any of the extract kits I've done!

Since you're brand new to brewing I would suggest doing a couple of extract kits first just to get a idea of the process and sanitation. After you have a grasp of how things are done switch to all grain ASAP. All grain brewing is not as difficult as it might seem. It just takes a extra couple of hours.

Welcome to your soon to be new addiction. lol
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

Johnny 5

Post by Johnny 5 »

Sixstring78 wrote:I've just recently started brewing myself as well.
I started with extract kits as I started to get the equipment necessary to do all grain.
I did 3 extract kits and the moved on to all grain and have done 3 batches of all grain.
As we speak I am enjoying my first ever AG brew now that it has carbonated. It's the Steam Beer kit from ihomebrewing.ca.
It is leaps and bounds tastier then any of the extract kits I've done!

Since you're brand new to brewing I would suggest doing a couple of extract kits first just to get a idea of the process and sanitation. After you have a grasp of how things are done switch to all grain ASAP. All grain brewing is not as difficult as it might seem. It just takes a extra couple of hours.

Welcome to your soon to be new addiction. lol

awesome thanks
I def gotta go buy some stuff around town here.
Mainly the brewing equipment itself, the guy i talked to at paddockwood suggested a bunch of places around town thats cheaper then buying a full kit and getting it shipped.

I already have a couple of addictions, the big one right now is my motorcycle but i think this is going to take its spot, especially during the winter LOL

Randy

Post by Randy »

Welcome Johnny 5- I think Sixstring78 is right ,try a couple extract kits first until you get the hang of it,but first clean everything really good before you start brewing that is the first step,and keep asking lots of questions,lots of guys here that will help you out any time,and we all are learning together to make good beer,good luck on your first batch......cheers ....

RichC999

Post by RichC999 »

Also don't follow your extract instructions. Instead post them on this site and ask the experienced brewers how to do it better. This will help ensure your first experience is a good one. I personally have never done extract but I know with proper care and a few simple changes you will end up with a much better beer.

Rich

Jack

Post by Jack »

Nice to see another fellow newbie, you've definitely come to the right place. I'm just about to switch from extract to allgrain myself. I did 3 extract kits which made 'drinkable' beer that would have no doubt been much better if i had been a member here first. Kinda ironic that since learning how to improve an extract kit i don't plan on using them anymore. Some of the advice i received here is to use a better yeast than most kits supply, boil the extract for about 10min in 10 litres of water and add some hops, ferment at a lower temp than most kits recommend, and probably leave it in the primary fermenter instead of racking to a secondary. All that being said, listen to the voices of experience here and you won't go wrong. I definitely recommend doing a kit first (with improvement) but if you have access to local supplies, which i don't, definitely switch to allgrain.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Tony

Post by Tony »

If you have access to Festa or BrewHouse kits, then go with them first. They make a quite drinkable brew and in the case of Festa Brew excellent beer. It will help you go through the fermenting stages and also with sanitation of equipment. It helps to get those things down hand pat first before trying to go it alone doing all grain. Try reading WWW.howtobrew.com to get yourself aquanted with homebrewing the right way.
Then you can come here to ask questions as you go along. We are here to make sure you make a successful brew that you would be proud to call your own.

Cheers and good luck.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX »

I started brewing with extract, but really, all-grain is the way to go. You only need one more piece of equipment to do it: a straining bag (~$5 online), and the difference in taste and quality is huge! I wish I would have started all-grain from the beginning.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*