3rd Batch

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Sixstring78

3rd Batch

Post by Sixstring78 »

Just brewed my 3rd batch. Tried a "beer in a bag" I guess you could call it.
Here's the recipe:

250g Medium crystal grain(steeped for 30min. @ 150F)
-After 30 minutes brought to a boil then added
3kg LME - Lager malt extract
1kg Corn Syrup
250g LME - Dark malt extract
375g Dextrose

14g Northern Brewer 9.5%AA (60 minutes)
14g Cluster 7.4%AA (60 minutes)
14g Cascade 5.0%AA (3 minutes)

Safeale US-05

20.5 litres total

Anybody have any suggestions for the future?
Bought all the ingredients as a kit, except the yeast. I substituted the US-05 for whatever came in the kit.
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

Randy

Re: 3rd Batch

Post by Randy »

Hi Sixstring78 I did the same batch 10 days ago 23 litres,it is strong around 10% boose moon shine lol i may have done something wrong ,i going to let sit in my keg for 2 more weeks and then try it again ,i think that kit is called Jakes Lager ,i do full kegs there too and thought i pick up a kit to try at home.let me know how yours turns out

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing »

The standard method, as I have seen it, is to hang the steeping bag in the pot with the water, then bring the water up to 170 deg F. However long that takes, is your steeping time. Remove the bag, and add the extract.

When the extracts are dissolved, you should take a pre-boil gravity, which will let you know if you need to add more water.

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 »

Randy wrote:Hi Sixstring78 I did the same batch 10 days ago 23 litres,it is strong around 10% boose moon shine lol i may have done something wrong ,i going to let sit in my keg for 2 more weeks and then try it again ,i think that kit is called Jakes Lager ,i do full kegs there too and thought i pick up a kit to try at home.let me know how yours turns out
Yup, that's the same one I have. Picked it up from Jake's on Howard. But wow, 10%!! I had a OG of 1.046 so I'll see where I'm at after a couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 »

Well, just kegged this batch tonight.
Ended up with a FG of 1.012. 4.6% ABV
Right off the bat it has a dry slightly hoppy flavour, and is as cloudy as the weather the last couple of weeks. lol
I syphoned what looks like a bit of the hops that had settled at the bottom of the fermenter. No biggy. Adds body. lol Or I could just tell everyone it's a Weiss beer. lol
I have about 20 people coming from out of town this weekend for the May 2-4, so I'm sure this batch won't get much time to age, but so far it's pretty tasty!

While all the guys are here this weekend I'll probably be brewing up the Amarillo Cream Ale kit I just picked up from IHB. Looking forward to it!

Tony

Post by Tony »

Sixstring78 wrote:[ But wow, 10%!! I had a OG of 1.046 so I'll see where I'm at after a couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted.
I doubt that a 1056 OG will give you anything more than a 6% beer
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 »

You're right. I posted that I had 4.6%
Randy said that he had 10%.

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 »

Here's a pic of the Jake's lager kit.
Starting to become quite tasty after being kegged for 5 days.
Attachments
Jakes.jpg

Randy

Post by Randy »

Hi Guys I thought i would give you an update on my patch,it turned out to be around 6.5% ,i now know why it was strong because i was a little short on the water when brewing it,but it turned out ok after 3 weeks in keg....cheers

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 »

Good to hear it turned out ok!
I had three people over the past week say that this beer was good and that they'd drink it over something they'd buy at the beer store. LOL
The wife has been making fun of me for the past few months whenever I talk about homebrewing, so this was a little hard for her to take. She thinks that it's a silly endeavor and that nobody would drink the beer I make. :geek:
Can't wait until they try the Brew It! kits I got from iHomebrewing.ca! Everyone will be hooked on homebrew! 8-)
I was going to keg my steam beer tonight but ran out of time.