I think I'm too hot!!!

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
9am53

I think I'm too hot!!!

Post by 9am53 »

I made my first batch last night, I used a Morgans Canadian Blond kit, and used 1 kg DME and a level cup of Dex, OG was 1.044. Boiled the dry stuff, added the can, and topped up with cool water. I proofed my yeast, but it was dead (kit is slightly expired) so I added another packette (a random coopers packette I found). The thing is though, the kit says to ferment at temps 71-86 degrees. Since it is my first time around I wasn't sure what to set my heater too (it's in the basement which is cold). THis morning I wake up and of course run downstairs like a kid on Xmas morning, and sure enough the yeast are munching away, BUT the temp is at 84 degrees! THis is what the kit called for, but I am using a different yeast, so I presume this is way too warm. I turned the heater down, but am worried that the beer will be undrinkable. Should I just dump it and do another batch with a lower temp now that I have a grasp on the heater?
Primary: Brown Ale
Secondary: Plzen that is lagering
Keg: Irish Red
Bottle: Plzen
In The Mail: Nothing

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: I think I'm too hot!!!

Post by Reignman »

Don't dump it!! Can you crash cool it? Put it in a pail of ice water and bring it down as quick as you can. It may taste a little phenolic, depending on how long it was 84F. You shouldn't really need a heater this time of year. Fermenting at 65F to 68F is fine. It will get warmer as it really gets going. My ales rise at least 4F from ambient temp within 2 days or so. Get that sucker cool as soon as possible and you'll be fine. What was the temp when you pitched your yeast?

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

my basement is in the mid 50s still (very old house) so I need the heater, I turned it down at around 5 this morning, so hoepfully when I get home at lunch it will be looking ok.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

You'll still get beer, but it may have some off flavors. Yeast ferments fine at higher temps, but produce a lot of molecules that produce undesired tastes.

Turn down the temps, and continue. An extended aging in a secondary may help a bit to offset the flavors.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

thanks, that's what I am going to try to do.