Just Kegged First Batch

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Sixstring78

Just Kegged First Batch

Post by Sixstring78 »

Well, my first brew had been sitting in primary for two and a half weeks and I decided it's been long enough. It was a Coopers Dark Ale extract kit which I followed the directions from the kit(including the use of white sugar).
Just racked it over to my keg and have started to cool it down and carbonate it.
Right off the bat it has a "cidery" flavor, not sure if this will dissipate much or not. Those with more experience what do you say?
It doesn't taste bad, just cidery. Hopefully after another week carbonating/aging it will improve.
Ended up with 72.26 attenuation. Is that good, or should it be higher?
ABV 4.9

Can't wait to keg my next batch in a couple of weeks! My second one was a Munton's Brown Ale which I used 1/2kg DME and 1/2kg dextrose. Will be interesting to see the difference.

All I need now is a wort chiller and I'm all set to go all grain. :D
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

Tony

Re: Just Kegged First Batch

Post by Tony »

Unfortunatly those type of kits are known for that taste. Some say it's the amount of sugar you add to the kit.
Just could be bad extract also, and I don't think it will get any better with ageing.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing »

I would think that if your can was within the expiry date printed on it, then it should be a quality product. These breweries that manufacture the cans know what they are doing.

My concern would be the yeast. If you are getting cidery flavours, that would indicate ester formation, and could be due to stressed yeast, a poor strain of yeast, too high a fermentation temp, or nutrient poor wort.

It would be interesting if you made the same kit again, and changed the yeast to a pack of Fermentis S-05...

I use ordinary table sugar in all grain cream ales quite often, and experience no 'cidery' flavour from this fermentable.

The amount of sugar that these can kits call for, however, seems a little excessive. I would definitely cut it with some DME, or completely substitute it altogether.

As far as aging it. Give it a shot. I have had many a beer turn better over time. If it is an ester buildup, however, there isn't much going to happen chemically that would remove that flavour completely, but beer is a chemically rich substance, and many reactions occur that scientists are still trying to make sense of.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Well one should never throw away a brew if he has the room and patience to wait it out. Many a beer that started out as
not tasting up to scratch, have turned out to be great beer after a waiting peroid.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 »

ihomebrewing wrote: My concern would be the yeast. If you are getting cidery flavours, that would indicate ester formation, and could be due to stressed yeast, a poor strain of yeast, too high a fermentation temp, or nutrient poor wort.
As far as the yeast being stressed.... I'm not even sure what would stress it out. Performance anxiety? lol I cooled the wort to 78F and the yeast was at about 72F when I pitched it. Would this cause the yeast to be stressed?
The fermentation temp pretty much stayed steady(with about 1 degree variation) for the two and half weeks at 71-72F. The instructions that came with the kit said to store it between 68-75F. Could the yeast be fermented at a lower temp?(this would probably depend on the yeast right?). A fermenter in my basement on the floor is a fairly constant 65F. Maybe I should try that next time.

I'm waiting for things to warm up a bit so I can put my primaries in the Pepsi fridge I have. The fridge is outside(don't have room in my garage, the thing is pretty big!) and it still gets fairly cool at night and this would cause some pretty wildly fluctuating temps. Guess I could throw a heater in the fridge to even out the temps.
Would love to explain that one to people who come over and don't know anything about brewing. "Why is there a heater in your fridge?" lol

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 »

Tony wrote:Well one should never throw away a brew if he has the room and patience to wait it out. Many a beer that started out as
not tasting up to scratch, have turned out to be great beer after a waiting peroid.
I'm actually sitting back right now sipping on a tiny glass of the beer right now(I couldn't wait!) and I have to say that it has lost quite a bit of the cidery flavor it had yesterday. I'm not sure if it's due to the cooling of the beer or the tiny bit of carbonation that's occured in the past 24 hours. If over the next 6-7 days I can see even just the same amount of improvement as I have in the past day, I would be extremely happy with how this beer has turned out, especially considering it's my first attempt.

I might actually sample just a little bit each day to see the difference as it carbonates and ages slightly. Oh darn. lol