BIAB

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Microbrewology
Favourite Beer: Saison

BIAB

Post by Microbrewology » 5 months ago

Hey folks,

Did my first BIAB recently for a partial grain recipe, had 2 lb of rye and a 1/4 lb of acidulated malt.
The portion where I encountered some uncertainty was when the saccharification was finished I drained and squeezed the grain bag to get the last of the fluids out.
As I did that it seemed to keep producing a viscous, sweet tasting, fluid coming off. Since it tasted sweet I figured I wanted it in the wort, so I dumped a few cups of hot water on the bag and squeezed some more until I'd gotta most of it.

Is this an issue due to potentially insufficient water volume used during the mash, a characteristic of BIAB, or something I wasn't supposed to do?

Cheers

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: BIAB

Post by Reignman » 5 months ago

Looks to me you just sparged your grains after the mash. How hot was the water? 168 F max is what I go for. I don't see any issues with what you did.

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 5 months ago

Nope all you did was sparge the bag. You can get away with not doing it but your efficiency will suffer. And as reignman said do not go over 168-170 with sparge water as you could start extracting tannins.
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour
Tap 1: Root Beer
Tap 2: Destined for the drain
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Tap 4: Brown Sour

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 5 months ago

Probably wouldn't hurt to throw a pound or 2 of 2 row or pilsner malt in with your other grains to help them convert.

Next step up from there is a small one to all grain BIAB, mind you depends on your set up. I only have an 8 gallon pot so can only do about 12lbs of grain. If I need more than that, then I have to supplement with DME