fast fermentation question

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
p0larizedrage
Favourite Beer: Belgian Wit

fast fermentation question

Post by p0larizedrage » 7 months ago

Hey folks. this is my first post of what im sure will be many on here.

I just recently got into home brewing and even more recently i brewed my first batch.

I used a 5 gallon recipe for Hefeweizen.....the brew day went far better than i imagined except for the fact that my boil was too rapid and i lost more wort during the boil than i had anticipated.

I ended up with just over 4 gallons of wort but i pitched my full package of liquid wyeast.

I think i may have pitched at too high a temp ( actually i know i did) but i wasnt too far off so i thought it would be ok.

Initially the fermentation was very active...so much that i had to remove the air lock and fashion a blow off valve.....it was very active for about 48 hours and then pretty much died off.

The recipe called for a 2 week fermentation.

My question is: do i still leave it the full 2 weeks even though fermentation seems to have ended?

Thanks!

Dee Envy
Favourite Beer: HomeBrew

Re: fast fermentation question

Post by Dee Envy » 7 months ago

Yes I would leve it for the full two weeks.The initial fermentation is typically fast and then it dies down.
You can check your specific gravity a few days in a row to see if it has changed. No change and it is done. I usually leave mine for three weeks.
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: fast fermentation question

Post by brhenrio » 7 months ago

Depending on the yeast you still might have a good hefe pitching too high, but it will probably have a lot of banana. I am a pro leave it for 2+ weeks on the yeast cake guy, as the yeast tends to clean up a lot of the by products of a vigorous fermentation. But thats my opinion.
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour
Tap 1: Root Beer
Tap 2: Vienna Märzen
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Tap 4: Brown Sour