To rack nor not to rack..that is the question!

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Telliman
Favourite Beer: All of them

To rack nor not to rack..that is the question!

Post #1 by Telliman » 7 months ago

So I very new to all of this. I won a beer kit (festa brew blonde ale). SO when I picked it up I got all the equipment I needed and my first batch is going! Now I racked it into a carboy and it all going good. But after reading here it seems (at least for festa brew style kits) that racking isnt necessary? But then I see some say it give a better taste...

Is this all personal opinoin? Is there any real info on the subject I could read? Thanks everyone! For now I'll stick with Festa brews then move on up! (Jefferson's song playing in my head lol)
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Steam Beer

Re: To rack nor not to rack..that is the question!

Post #2 by Reignman » 7 months ago

I think it is just a personal opinion. I leave it there for at least 14 days and then bottle or keg.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #3 by Warthaug » 7 months ago

Racking is usually not needed for shorter-time brews (anything less than a month). If anything, adding a racking step when its not needed only increases the risk of infecting or oxidizing your beer. I would let you kit ferment for ~2 weeks, transfer it to your bottling bucket, and bottle (or keg direct from the fermenter if kegging).

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post #4 by ECH » 7 months ago

Yeah, unless you are dry hopping it after fermentation, or adding fruit, oak, or secondary fermentation on say a brett yeast, there really is no reason to rack to a secondary. It will allow the beer to clear out more, off of the yeast, but you take the risk of contamination.
Telliman
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post #5 by Telliman » 7 months ago

Alright thanks guys! Really appreciate the advice!
hawkbox

Post #6 by hawkbox » 6 months ago

I just gelatin fine it and cold crash it for a few days. I haven't transferred to a secondary since maybe my 3rd batch.

Return to “Beginner Home Brewing”