Follow my process, correct my mistakes?

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: Follow my process, correct my mistakes?

Post by Warthaug » 2 years ago

If all you bottles are gushing the issue is unlikely to be your bottles - bad bottle cleaning usually results in a portion of your bottles becoming infected. Your uncovered yeast water may be the source - cover it next time. Likewise, I'd wash anything glass or metal with a 10% bleach solution, and give all plastics an overnight soak in fresh star san. Disassemble the siphon (i.e. pull the rubber hose off of the solid plastic wand) to be sure all surfaces are properly sanitized during this step.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Dee Envy
Favourite Beer: HomeBrew

Post by Dee Envy » 2 years ago

Venari wrote:The first batch tasted like somebody had poured red wine into the fermentor with the wort. After a few weeks of bottle conditioning, these bottles turned into gushers when opened.

Second batch simply tasted sour. These also became gushers.

Straight tap water is the source. I haven't done anything to the water, so whatever Ottawa's putting in the water, that's now in the beer.
The taste you mention was before or after bottling?
I agree with Warthaug. That's why I mentioned the yeast water and the siphon. I make sure that everything is covered so the nasties do not fall into the batch. I even cover the bucket with a lid when transferring.
I also use the pink powder to clean my equipment. I just give it a good long soak and then a good rinse. Then the starsan is used.
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 2 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with your process so far - I also think that any nasties are getting introduced during bottling. One way to be sure would be to just keep the beer in the carboy much longer than normal (4-6 weeks) and see if any infection makes itself known. I'm guessing it will be fine, even after 6 weeks. There's got to be something wrong with your bottling process, in my opinion.

Warthaug

kombats idea of aging longer in secondary is a good one - if nothing crops up in a couple of weeks your issue lies downstream.

Are you bottling using a dedicated bottling bucket? If so, that may be the source of your issues.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Warthaug

Just another thought, now that you're in Ottawa you are in a city with a strong base of homebrewers & a brew club (Members of Barleyment). I'd recommend getting a hold of them - many homebrewers would be quite happy to brew with you in order to try and find the source of your issues.

Bryan

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari » 2 years ago

my racking cane is always taken apart during sanitation, and always taken apart with the hose removed for cleaning. It's a pain to get the hose off most of the time, but a little elbow grease always does the trick.

The white bucket seen above also doubles as the bottling bucket. The boiled sugar water for batch priming always goes in there after it's cooled, and the wort racked on top as gently as can be done. Then I use the racking cane with bottling wand to siphon/bottle from there.

I've always known the issue lies pre-bottling. I've mentioned in other posts/threads that the taste is always off after primary, but before bottling.

Next batch will have a covered yeast re-hydration, as suggested.

I'll have a look around for the MoB page/thread/FB Group to see if I can't get in on it :)
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 2 years ago

Have you ever sampled other people's extract brews? Personally, the flavours of cann d extracts are what got me into all grain in the first place. Fresh bulk extract is a huge step up from canned.
Just mildly curious if maybe there is nothing at all wrong with your brew and you simply do not like the flavour.
You really do have to do something pretty wrong to get infections, beer wants to be beer.

Venari

While I haven't sampled other people's extract brews, I do know this isn't how it's supposed to taste. I was making better beer in Nunavut with this process (this is all new fermentors and other equipment, I abandoned everything I had up there).

I gave a sample of these bad batches to OttawaBrewer, and he said it wasn't how it was supposed to be.

If upgrading my gear didn't cost so much, I'd probably move to BIAB or AG brewing.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 2 years ago

Just move to fresh LME, as opposed to the cans. Not the same thing at all, and completely different flavor.

I have given some of mine to locals around here that brew all grains, even some guys that run their own brewery, and they came back to me and thought that I hadn't moved to all grain brewing yet....I said I hadn't.

Big, big, big difference with fresh LME, specialty grains and adding hops. And really, all you need for a 5gal batch is a propane burner and a large enough kettle, if you don't already have one.

Venari

With kettles over $250, it takes a bit of saving. I can never find a deal on Kijiji either :(