Subsituting flaked wheat/oats for wheat LME?

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
twistandstout

Subsituting flaked wheat/oats for wheat LME?

Post by twistandstout » 4 years ago

I'm looking to brew my first stout. I've been looking at recipes that are interesting and many call for flaked wheat or oats. I'm currently extract brewing so I can't mash, but will be steeping specialty grains such as crystal, chocolate, black patent, and roasted barley.

I have some bavarian wheat LME left from a beer I made last month. I was wondering if I could use this instead of flaked wheat/oats and how it will affect the stout? I'm assuming the flaked wheat/oats is to give the stout that creamy, smooth, silky mouthfeel?

Also, one last question: when I read lots of these stout recipes, they call for a 'late addition' in terms of the DME/LME. One would add around half the extract after the specialty grains are done steeping, and the rest late addition. What is the purpose of this? I usually dump in all of my extract when the boil begins (after steeping).

Thank you!

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Re: Subsituting flaked wheat/oats for wheat LME?

Post by ECH » 4 years ago

How much flaked oats is it calling for?

I too do extract brewing, but have had as much as 2-3lbs of grain steeping in some batches I have had.

If it's a stout, I doubt that the oats/wheat it is calling for is the main part of the grain bill, so shouldn't be an issue steeping it along with your other specialty grains.

twistandstout

ECH wrote:How much flaked oats is it calling for?

I too do extract brewing, but have had as much as 2-3lbs of grain steeping in some batches I have had.

If it's a stout, I doubt that the oats/wheat it is calling for is the main part of the grain bill, so shouldn't be an issue steeping it along with your other specialty grains.
I'd say around .5 pounds of flaked oats.

ECH

If you are already steeping other grains, then just do the same with your flaked oats. Easy Peasy.

twistandstout

ECH wrote:If you are already steeping other grains, then just do the same with your flaked oats. Easy Peasy.
I thought flaked oats had to be mashed and not steeped?

ECH

Not sure, I did a Belgian Summer Ale (extract with steeping grains) that had about 1/2pound of flaked oats in it. Just steeped 30-45mins, and good to go.

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

The only time I've used flaked oats was with a brewers best kit and even they included some 2 row and another set of instructions on how to "steep to convert" (read "mash"). I would think that by steeping oatmeal, you're only adding starch to your brew...
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!