Fermentation problems...

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Hopper
Favourite Beer: Brown Ale

Fermentation problems...

Post by Hopper » 5 years ago

Hey all!

So I started my first extract batch Sat. morning. Everything went good(I think) pitched the yeast at about 75 degrees, started fermenting Sunday mid aft.

So I've noticed that it seems to start for a few hours and then stop for a few hours, and repeats. Is this normal? I had a SG of 1.060 and checked last night (was bubbling) and am down to 1.020. The room temp, fluctuates from maybe 70 overnight, do 75, max 80 during day. Is that an issue? Or am I worrying over nothing? This morninging again it wasn't bubbling at all(but probably will be when im back form work)

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: Fermentation problems...

Post by Warthaug » 5 years ago

Typically, you want to keep fermentation temperatures stable, and below 20C (70-ish). Higher temperatures will lead to the yeast producing more off-flavours. The "cyclic" activity of your yeast may be de to the temperature fluctuations, as they are more active at warmer temps, but seeing as your gravity is getting low I wouldn't expect many more active cycles.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Hopper

Thanks - I stabalized the temp at around 65F, and it's down to .015 and still slowly bubling away. Can I bottle straight from the fermentation bucket or should I rack to a 2nd, and then bottle/prime? My only worry is if I leave it too long the yeast will die off, so I won't be able to prime. Is that ever an issue?

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 » 5 years ago

Hopper wrote:Thanks - I stabalized the temp at around 65F, and it's down to .015 and still slowly bubling away. Can I bottle straight from the fermentation bucket or should I rack to a 2nd, and then bottle/prime? My only worry is if I leave it too long the yeast will die off, so I won't be able to prime. Is that ever an issue?
not at all, there will be plenty of yeast in the beer to carb it up in the bottles, dont worry about that, just make sure the beer is finished fermenting ie stable hydro readings for a day or 3. :cheers:

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 5 years ago

Like ruf1 said, its no issue. I've aged beer for over a year in a carboy and still had enough yeast viable left to carb. Stable readings for 3-days and you're good to go - unless your beer style requires additional ageing.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Hopper

Well that makes me feel a lot better! I'll update this post with the results.