Brew House Red Ale

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Brew House Red Ale

Post by Mr_Tastyfish » 5 years ago

So I was at the local homebrew shop just before the long weekend began, and I let myself get talked into ordering one of these Brew House kits. I've brewed a bunch of the Cooper's kits already, and the guy at the shop knows how I like to play around with them and other ingredients... so he suggested that if I wanted to try something different I should try one of these kits. Anyone here ever use a Brew House kit before? What are they like?

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: Brew House Red Ale

Post by Reignman » 5 years ago

I used them quite frequently years ago. I liked the Pale Ale the best.

Mr_Tastyfish

I googled it and found out that they're a ready-made bag of wort. Pretty much just dump into a sanitized fermentor and pitch some yeast. Doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. I'll be happy as long as it turns out tasty, but I was kinda hoping for a kit with a little more to it... Maybe some steeping grains or something to make brew day a little more interesting.

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 » 5 years ago

Mr_Tastyfish wrote:So I was at the local homebrew shop just before the long weekend began, and I let myself get talked into ordering one of these Brew House kits. I've brewed a bunch of the Cooper's kits already, and the guy at the shop knows how I like to play around with them and other ingredients... so he suggested that if I wanted to try something different I should try one of these kits. Anyone here ever use a Brew House kit before? What are they like?

+1 reignman, i started with brew house 5 yrs ago and they were easy to deal with and made a very good blond ale and lagers, almost makes me want to go back there and get rid of all this stuff, i can hardly move in my brew room now,lol..cheers

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive » 5 years ago

I'd kill to have a dedicated brew room! Haha

Cheers!

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman » 5 years ago

If you are pressed for time and just want to brew beer, these kits are fine. Just don't forget to add the PH packet like I did one time. Dumped it. I think they adjust the PH down for packaging and you raise it back to where it should be with a packet of potassium bicarbonate. Tasted sour, out it went.

MitchD73
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by MitchD73 » 5 years ago

I've had their Oktoberfest as well as English pale ale; both were very good. If you want to play around you could pour out some of the wort and steep some specialty grains with it. I think you can find some hacks for the kits rather easily on the web.

Mr_Tastyfish

I don't think I'll modify their recipe (at least not this time around) I'd like to see how it turns out when I just follow the instructions.

JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post by JimmehBrew » 5 years ago

How about an intermediate kit from Patrick at OBK ?
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Home_Bee ... _s/143.htm

I believe some of those have steeping grains in the 5 gal extract kits if your ready to kick things up a notch.

Mr_Tastyfish

Probably going to be my next adventure. Either that, or continue playing around with my own extract recipes (which I make up as I go).