Looking for tips to improve Cooper's Draught kit...and more.

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Re: Looking for tips to improve Cooper's Draught kit...and m

Post by Wingeezer » 5 years ago

I recently decided to try a Coopers extract kit.

Many years ago I tried extracts and wound up pouring all the beer down the sink! It was awful. Could have been the quality or age of the ingredients or could have been something I was doing wrong, although I did try several times before giving up.

When I decided to give homebrewing another try a couple of years ago, this time, I decided to go right to all grain and have been very happy with the results.

However, I have heard that extracts have improved greatly since I tried them, and also I have heard very good reports of Coopers, so a couple of weeks ago I decided to give one a try.

I probably should have first tried just following Coopers' instructions - but I couldn't resist fiddling with it!

In addition to the kit, I added 1 1/2 lbs of DME and about 3/4 lb of dextrose.

I did a full boil, and also added 1 oz fuggles at 30 minutes and 1 oz of EK Goldings at about 5 minutes. I will likely dry hop in the keg with a couple more oz of EK holdings.

Instead of the cooper's yeast, I used 11g of S-04.

Won't be sampling it for a while yet, as it will take its turn behind other batches I have underway and hopefully benefit from conditioning!

I'll be interested to see how it turns out - it will either be my final experiment with extracts, or could turn into an option if I am running short of beer and don't have the time to start an all grain batch going!

Brian
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

gm-
Favourite Beer: Westmalle Dubbel

Post by gm- » 5 years ago

Wingeezer wrote:I recently decided to try a Coopers extract kit.

Many years ago I tried extracts and wound up pouring all the beer down the sink! It was awful. Could have been the quality or age of the ingredients or could have been something I was doing wrong, although I did try several times before giving up.

When I decided to give homebrewing another try a couple of years ago, this time, I decided to go right to all grain and have been very happy with the results.

However, I have heard that extracts have improved greatly since I tried them, and also I have heard very good reports of Coopers, so a couple of weeks ago I decided to give one a try.

I probably should have first tried just following Coopers' instructions - but I couldn't resist fiddling with it!

In addition to the kit, I added 1 1/2 lbs of DME and about 3/4 lb of dextrose.

I did a full boil, and also added 1 oz fuggles at 30 minutes and 1 oz of EK Goldings at about 5 minutes. I will likely dry hop in the keg with a couple more oz of EK holdings.

Instead of the cooper's yeast, I used 11g of S-04.

Won't be sampling it for a while yet, as it will take its turn behind other batches I have underway and hopefully benefit from conditioning!

I'll be interested to see how it turns out - it will either be my final experiment with extracts, or could turn into an option if I am running short of beer and don't have the time to start an all grain batch going!

Brian
Keep us posted Brian, all the extract canned kits that I have tried tasted like Cider and went down the drain, hopefully you have better luck :)
Coming up: Dubbel
Fermenting:
On tap: Cucumber Saison / Simcoe MO SMaSH

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman » 5 years ago

I have been thinking on an extract brew in the winter since I brew in my garage. Although our winters aren't as cold as they used to be, I was thinking to quickly get one together and just toss it on my brew bench where I don't need temp control in the winter. I remember doing a Coopers Stout a long time ago and used 2 cans for 5 gallons. It was okay, but very malty even for a stout. Drank it all though.

migrantworkable
Favourite Beer: Dark Ale

Post by migrantworkable » 5 years ago

I was quite happy with my Big Rock bock that I brewed. It was a simple extract kit and a good introduction to practising a simplified process for making beer.. Just added corn sugar, yeast, and water to make 23L. It's not too bad--drinkable, at least. A friend said it was good, and the boyfriend really likes it as well. Myself, I thought it tasted quite 'earthy,' if I say so myself, and a bit flat (not surprising since I hadn't primed it yet). Despite being a lager, I found it tasted more like an ale, but I think that's the bock style anyway. It's currently bottle conditioning with carbonation, so maybe in a few weeks I will like it more.

Charlie Papazian has quite a few recipes that use extract as a base, so I'm looking to try some of those.
Bottled: Black Rock bock
Fermenting: Wine

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post by Wingeezer » 5 years ago

gm- wrote: Keep us posted Brian, all the extract canned kits that I have tried tasted like Cider and went down the drain, hopefully you have better luck :)
Will do - if this is not good, I swear it will be my last try at extract brewing! Folks say it is much better than it used to be when I last tried it.

All I know is that I have never yet had a failure with "All grain." I'm drinking a couple of pints of my own all grain recipe for an ESB right now - takes me back to a couple of years I spend in the UK in the late sixties! Ahh, the nostalgia!

My first try at making up my own recipe - thank God it turned out to be drinkable! Actually I am pleased and I think I'll be making this again! Could do with a little better head retention though!

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.