what's the deal with extracts

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
JGBrewery1
Favourite Beer: stella

what's the deal with extracts

Post by JGBrewery1 » 5 years ago

Okay so I've done both extracts and all-grain and have decided all-grain would be best suited when a full day is available to dedicate, but I want to produce good beer on a time deadline ie after work on a week night. But I don't want to use a coopers premade beer I want to make my own style but not sure how I'd use extracts as compared to all-grain as they would be more efficient. Ie if an all grain recipe calls for 10lbs of grain how much extract would I use. Anybody have any advice?
If you trust nothing else. . .Trust your sanitizer

Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
Conical: Galaxy hop lager
Lagering: N/A
Bottled: random left overs
On Tap:black rock brown ale, vienna lager(galaxy dry hopping)

gm-
Favourite Beer: Westmalle Dubbel

Re: what's the deal with extracts

Post by gm- » 5 years ago

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Dry_Malt ... _s/139.htm

You can use this stuff instead of grains, just add it to water, steep some specialty grains, and add hops to the boil like usual. I guess it saves some time as you don't have to mash. You can also use liquid extract, but that stuff is usually prehopped, and therefore not as good to work with.
Coming up: Dubbel
Fermenting:
On tap: Cucumber Saison / Simcoe MO SMaSH

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 5 years ago

gm- wrote:You can also use liquid extract, but that stuff is usually prehopped, and therefore not as good to work with.
I thought only the prepared canned liquid extract kits (Munton's, Coopers, etc.) were "pre-hopped?" The ones that advertise a particular style on the label, like a "Coopers Mexican Cerveza" or a "Munton's Canadian Blonde."

I was under the impression that if you walk into your LHBS and just buy a small, clear plastic tub labeled "light LME" or "amber LME", then those are just plain old LME, with not hops whatsoever.

gm-
Favourite Beer: Westmalle Dubbel

Post by gm- » 5 years ago

kombat wrote:
gm- wrote:You can also use liquid extract, but that stuff is usually prehopped, and therefore not as good to work with.
I thought only the prepared canned liquid extract kits (Munton's, Coopers, etc.) were "pre-hopped?" The ones that advertise a particular style on the label, like a "Coopers Mexican Cerveza" or a "Munton's Canadian Blonde."

I was under the impression that if you walk into your LHBS and just buy a small, clear plastic tub labeled "light LME" or "amber LME", then those are just plain old LME, with not hops whatsoever.
That is true, but for most LHBS in small places (like all the stores here in SJ), the canned kits is all you can get. If you can get the plastic tubs of unhopped LME in your store, great, so I guess this depends on your LHBS.

As for how much to use, beersmith can calculate that for you, just design a recipe like you would with all grain. If you are converting a recipe, there are some calculators out there that you can use to convert the amount of grain to amounts of lme or dme.
Coming up: Dubbel
Fermenting:
On tap: Cucumber Saison / Simcoe MO SMaSH

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim » 5 years ago

There are conversions for all grain to extract, beersmith2 does it for me or
http://byo.com/recipe-calculations/item ... n-and-back will work.
Dry malt extract will work fine, no need to use liquid unless you are looking for a specific grain in liquid.
Coopers and others make unhopped liquid extract.
http://homebrewsupplies.ca/product/3067 ... otter-lme/

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger » 5 years ago

Check some web sites for recipes using DME or DME and partial grain. I got lots of help from http://beersmith.com/beer-recipes/. Happy brewing. :stirpot:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

JGBrewery1
Favourite Beer: stella

Post by JGBrewery1 » 5 years ago

Hey thank you all, I used brewtarget and made a recipe using dme lme and dex, to bohemien lager specs and I just finished the boil, it smells awesome! Here's hopin it tastes as good as this will be a nice batch to keep goin on hand if it does
If you trust nothing else. . .Trust your sanitizer

Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
Conical: Galaxy hop lager
Lagering: N/A
Bottled: random left overs
On Tap:black rock brown ale, vienna lager(galaxy dry hopping)