Hoppy ipa

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
k3v1np

Hoppy ipa

Post by k3v1np » 5 years ago

So I was at a local beer pub this evening that specializes in craft beers and I had a few ipa's that were extremely hoppy and I really enjoyed the taste. Most of the malt extracts beers that I have made don't even come close to the amount of hop flavour these beers had. What would you all recommend in a malt extract kit in order to get some really hight hop flavoured ipa?
I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer. - Homer Simpson

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Re: Hoppy ipa

Post by kombat » 5 years ago

Add more hops to the boil?

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman » 5 years ago

Dry hop.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 5 years ago

IPAs are made using an aggressive hop schedule (which also makes them pricey). You can make an OK IPA using an English special or extra special bitter kit plus some hops.

You'll want:
1 special or extra special bitter kit
enough light DME or light LME to bring the alcohol level of your kit upto 6% or higher (optional)
2-3oz Cascade hops
2-3oz Willamette hops
1oz Chinook hops (optional)

1) Dissolve the kit as per instructions. If you desire you can add light DME to increase the alcohol to a more IPA-like level (6-8%); 1kg of DME provides an additional 1.5% or so alcohol in a 23L batch.
2) Bring to a boil - you're going to have to boil longer than most simple kits call for (at least 30min).
3) 30min prior to the end of your boil add 1oz chinnok (optional), 1oz willamette and 1oz cascade hops. Things will foam up a bit when you do this, so take care. These are flavour additions, and are what will give your beer a strong hop flavour.
4) If you want a little extra flavour punch, add 0.5-1oz of willamette 15min prior to the end of your boil.
5) Add 1oz of willamette at flame-out; this is an aroma addition, and will give your beer a nice hop boquet.
6) Cool, transfer to a fermenter, add yeast and ferment 7-10 days.
7) Transfer to a carboy; let sit ~1 day then add 1-2oz of cascade hops. This is dry hopping, and adds an additional punch of flavour and aroma. The flavour/aroma you get from this step is very different from those added in the boil, so you shouldn't skip this addition.
8) Age with the hops for 1-2 weeks (longer = more hoppiness), then bottle or keg as per usual. If bottling, make sure you are transfering to a bottling bucket first, as you don't want to mix those hops into your bottle.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

bthorvaldson
Favourite Beer: Little Scrapper

Post by bthorvaldson » 5 years ago

I've also been trying to make an intensely hoppy IPA using extract. One thing you may want to consider is your boil volume. I'm fairly new to brewing so maybe a more experienced member can back me up on this, but my understanding is that if your doing a high-gravity boil and then adding it to water in your carboy, you will get less out of your hops. At one time, brewers thought this was because the hops couldn't isomerize as well at a high SG, but now many advanced brewers believe that any volume of wort can only reach about 100 IBU's. So, if you only boil 2.5 gal of a 5 gal batch, you will essentially cut your beers IBU rating in half, and this value will max out around 50.

markaberrant

Post by markaberrant » 5 years ago

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman » 5 years ago

Great T-shirt

k3v1np

Post by k3v1np » 5 years ago

WOW, a lot of information here. I should have been more specific in my original post. I've been using using the Brewhouse kits that don't require any boiling and by the sounds of it just adding some dry hops to it isn't really the way to go. I've made a couple of the extract kits where you have the really thick extract and must be boiled with additional water but have never really like the results as much as I have with the Brewhouse kits. I should really step up my game and get into the all grain brewing in order to get what I'm looking for. I've been thinking of it for a while but have yet to make the plunge.
I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer. - Homer Simpson

markaberrant

Post by markaberrant » 5 years ago

Why wouldn't dryhopping work?

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 5 years ago

Dryhopping will add some flavour & lots of aroma. You won't get the bitterness though.

I think brewhouse makes an IPA kit - that's probably your best bet (you could still dry-hop it)

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!