Brown sugar?

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Re: Brown sugar?

Post by JimmehBrew » 5 years ago

markaberrant wrote:I've never noticed brown sugar, demerara or turbinado to add much of anything except alcohol and thinner body.

I've always detected a caramel additions, slight but noticable, to any of my brews and ciders when I add browun sugars or the demerara Mark.

markaberrant

Post by markaberrant » 5 years ago

Jagggery does a much better job of leaving behind some actual flavour. Light molasses is ok, blackstrap (even unsulphured) is pretty nasty.

The dark and extra dark belgian candi syrup is by far the best.

Vman
Favourite Beer: Vobiscum Lupulus

Post by Vman » 5 years ago

I agree with the above Re; Beligan Candy Sugar. It adds great flavour and is pretty easily (and cheaply) made. I've used it before. Here is a site with some info.: http://joshthebrewmaster.wordpress.com/ ... ndi-sugar/

I usually add it during the boil when there is 15 mins left. But, it's up to you and your recipe.

JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post by JimmehBrew » 5 years ago

I've only used amber Belgium candi syrop before and I found it left an almost chocolate flavour, which is awesome for a stout. I am going to try the dark as you suggest for a cider next weekend as I think it would definitely at to the flavour Ty. Cheers

Ps what is Jagggery ?

markaberrant

Post by markaberrant » 5 years ago

Jaggery is whole, unrefined cane sugar. Usually comes in a bell/block shape. Most good indian food stores carry it. Leaves a very nice rum/molasses flavour.