Single stage brewing and Festa Brew

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
donaldrstewart

Re: Single stage brewing and Festa Brew

Post by donaldrstewart » 6 years ago

At the suggestion of my LHBS I was considering the following: Taking an ordinary 30L pail and lid, drilling the lid for a bung and air lock and drilling a hole in the bottom of the pail, just above the trub line and installing a plastic spigot.
This allows for easy filling and cleaning, and easy transfer to a keg or bottles. It would be minimal cost, easier to work with, and eliminate the risk of handling heavy glass carboys on my concrete basement floor. Plus, after dealing with some personal health issues, I am getting a little more careful and always looking for an easier or more efficient way of doing things. And I'm getting lazy

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by Canuck » 6 years ago

donaldrstewart wrote:At the suggestion of my LHBS I was considering the following: Taking an ordinary 30L pail and lid, drilling the lid for a bung and air lock and drilling a hole in the bottom of the pail, just above the trub line and installing a plastic spigot.
This allows for easy filling and cleaning, and easy transfer to a keg or bottles. It would be minimal cost, easier to work with, and eliminate the risk of handling heavy glass carboys on my concrete basement floor. Plus, after dealing with some personal health issues, I am getting a little more careful and always looking for an easier or more efficient way of doing things. And I'm getting lazy
That's a great idea and I do the exact same. I've installed spigots in all of my fermenters. It definitely makes things MUCH easier!

generaltao
Favourite Beer: Stout - Guiness

Post by generaltao » 6 years ago

Even after losing a beer and breaking a glass carboy, I still can't convert to plastic fermenters... Even with the spigot ease and everything, I dunno why! I might have a problem in my head. The pure logic and ease of the plastic fermenter are laid bare infront of me, I just can't convert...
Fermenting 1: Warthaug's Bad Santa
Fermenting 2: Sleeman Cream Ale Clone

Tap 1: Nothing
Tap 2: General Tao's Broo Verona Velvet - Chocolate Coffee Sweet Stout
Tap 3: Nothing

Planning: Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale Revisited Ressurection, Pucker Face Citrus IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Hard Cider, and many more.

General Tao's Broo Brewery

Stubrew
Favourite Beer: Bubbly

Post by Stubrew » 6 years ago

I only do 20L batches so use the carboy mostly, only doing the bigger beers in the bucket, those I expect to go nuts.
I like to see whats happening occasionally, and cant do that in a bucket. Too many questions, like is the krausen falling? How much trub is there? Etc
kegged: chocolate porter(deelish) / edworts pale ale (regular beer)
bottled: blonde(meh)/ tripel (ok)/ wake n bake stout(improving)/ hop project(meh)/black forest stout(getting better!) BYO Bock /belgian dark
SMaSH beers - citra/columbus / simcoe/ amarillo/cascade
no name ale/lager.

Canuck

Stubrew wrote:I only do 20L batches so use the carboy mostly, only doing the bigger beers in the bucket, those I expect to go nuts.
I like to see whats happening occasionally, and cant do that in a bucket. Too many questions, like is the krausen falling? How much trub is there? Etc
Stu, other than the SS Conical, this is what I use for my primary fermenters. You can still see what's going on inside like trub, krausen, etc.

Mr Frugal
Favourite Beer: PBR

Post by Mr Frugal » 6 years ago

Canuck wrote: Stu, other than the SS Conical, this is what I use for my primary fermenters. You can still see what's going on inside like trub, krausen, etc.
How do you transfer to your kegs/bottles with the spigot? do you attach tubing? I've been using an auto prime siphon up to this point. My main concern with having the spigot is that I'd snap the bloody thing off in the sink when cleaning (or some other clumsy way :bump:)

Canuck

Mr Frugal wrote:
Canuck wrote: Stu, other than the SS Conical, this is what I use for my primary fermenters. You can still see what's going on inside like trub, krausen, etc.
How do you transfer to your kegs/bottles with the spigot? do you attach tubing? I've been using an auto prime siphon up to this point. My main concern with having the spigot is that I'd snap the bloody thing off in the sink when cleaning (or some other clumsy way :bump:)
Yep, I use food grade tubing to transfer into my kegs. I detest siphoning, which is why I installed spigots in all my fermenters.

birvine

Post by birvine » 6 years ago

I am concerned about the cleaning aspect. Glass is so easy to clean. Mind you, with others using plastic AND spigots it IS possible.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery

slacker1
Favourite Beer: hefeweizen

Post by slacker1 » 6 years ago

Fermenter with spigot people - how do you get your priming sugar into your brew without stirring up all the nasties at the bottom? I prefer using a separate bottling pail and pour my sugar solution into it before siphoning the brew. That gives a thoroughly mixed solution without stirring up any stuff from the bottom.

Canuck

slacker1 wrote:Fermenter with spigot people - how do you get your priming sugar into your brew without stirring up all the nasties at the bottom? I prefer using a separate bottling pail and pour my sugar solution into it before siphoning the brew. That gives a thoroughly mixed solution without stirring up any stuff from the bottom.
I don't bottle anymore, but when I did I transferred the beer from the primary to a bottling bucket with a spigot. That's where I bulk primed. So now, instead of going from primary to bottling bucket I go primary to keg.