Mangrove Jack

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
ukulele01
Favourite Beer: Feels Good

Mangrove Jack

Post by ukulele01 » 6 years ago

Hello,

The Noble Grape here in Atlantic Canada has just started carrying the new Mangrove Jack's kits in the foil pouches, which is packaged under a low temperature process that "retains the delicate flavours and aromas traditionally lost during the pasteurisation of cans by prolonged heating and hot filling," if the marketing can be believed. Just in case, I put my order in as soon as I heard about them, but most varieties promptly sold out. I do have a Traditional Stout and Brown Ale on the way, the rest are on back order until early October. Has anyone tried them yet? What do you think, do they live up to the hype?

http://www.mangrovejacks.com/core.php?p ... s&ccode=CA

The Noble Grape is carrying the Tradition series for $20 and the British series for $30.

If this process really does what is claimed, all companies will be forced to start using them in short order. Tins will become a thing of the past.

ukulele01

Re: Mangrove Jack

Post by ukulele01 » 6 years ago

Well, I guess no one else has tried these as yet, so I will report my own findings. I brewed a batch of the Export Stout (made with 300gm DME + 700gm dextrose + 21 liters of water) and another of Brown Ale (450gm DME + 650gm dextrose + 1/4 oz Willamette hops boiled x 4 minutes + 21 liters of water). They have been conditioning for five weeks. I really liked the Brown Ale. It was hoppy, had a lovely perfume, and a little caramel, and fruit in the flavour. On the other hand, I am disappointed in the Stout. While it is attractive enough (inky black), and does have a nice nose, it is lacking in the flavour department. It is neither licorice, nor toffee, nor prune. I don't like it as much as the canned Coopers Original Stout. But to be fair, my partner likes it a lot and thinks it shows promise.

elreplica
Favourite Beer: Stella Artois

Post by elreplica » 5 years ago

Greetings ukelele01,

I would like to replicate the recipe here but swap out the yeast with Nottingham - I tried the Mangrove Jacks Lager and it was okay - better with time I am sure but I was thirsty! I want to see if this stands up to Festa Brew and am skeptical... Did you brew the malt as MJ is a no boil kit? How did you boil the hops? A draw off from your wort, boil and re-add? Thx for the help...

ukulele01

Post by ukulele01 » 5 years ago

Hi elreplica,

To answer your question, I did not boil the kit. I boiled the hops in a small pot on the stove in about a cup and a half of water with a small amount of DME. I cool that down and then add it to my wort. It is fairly easy to cool such a small volume (if you want more details on my process, just ask)....I have made the MJ's Blonde now as well with 500gms dextrose, 300gms dried wheat malt, and 1/4 oz of Mt. Hood hops boiled for 2 minutes, made to 22 liters. It is clean and refreshing, perhaps a hair better than Coopers. I have never tried Festa Brew, so can't compare. I have also made MJ's Northern Bitter with 300gm light malt extract, 400gms dextrose, 1/4oz EKG hops boiled x 2minutes, 22 liters of water. This time I used Coopers Yeast. It is early days yet but the flavour reminds me a lot of Coopers Real Ale, which is quite bitter, but a even a tad more bitter than that. So far my favourite is the Brown Ale, which was excellent. I still have a MJs Pilsner kit to make at some point....Personally I would not use Nottingham in a Brown Ale, too dry. I used the kit yeast (as I wanted to try it) and it was good. I think Coopers would be okay too, so would S-33, or S-04.