Using Oats in Extract

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Using Oats in Extract

Post #1 by ECH » 7 months ago

Looking for some advice on using quick oats. I have read that it needs to steep with some 2 row or 6 row in order to convert the starches.

Does it matter which? I assume that the 6 row has more of what is needed to convert the oat starches?

One recipe I looked at that used oats in extract, used 18oz of oats and 1.5lbs of 6 row, steeped for an hr (with the rest of the steeping grains), remove, splarge and add your extract.

Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb as to how much 2 or 6 row to use to do that with.

I had contemplated using Malted Oats instead, but some of the reading I have done, says that the Malted Oats don't give the same result.

I would assume as well that using 2 or 6 row, you would then just adjust your dry malt to hit your OG?
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Re: Using Oats in Extract

Post #2 by Reignman » 7 months ago

I think you are on the right track. Doing a mini-mash will get you around a gallon of wort. I use Promash and with 18 ozs. of quick oats along with 1.5 lbs. of 2 row in 1 gallon of water. I used 1.5 qts. water/lb. of grain. If your efficiency is around 75% the wort should be around 1.048.

Return to “Extract Brewing”