downed hops

Growing hops, fruits, spices, herbs, or anything else you plan on throwing into your brew? Tell us about it!
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Re: downed hops

Post #11 by ECH » 2 years ago

ruf1 wrote:
Winger wrote:Sorry to hear of your loss. I too have lost some plants to the weather. A Hallertau bine has been broken off at ground level by the wind. There are still lots of new shoots coming up so I haven't lost any plants. No serious insect problems here this year yet. All my surviving bines have reached the 20 ft cable on top and are doing well. :D :cheers:

The wind really pisses me off! causes a lot of problems, last August most of strings broke when we had the wild wind storm, the place looked like a war zone afterwards, took weeks for the whole area to clean up without power on top of it.

Good luck winger............... :cheers:

What sort of string do you use? I used jute 2yrs ago, which sucked, but last year I bought a roll of the white cotton/polyester clothesline rope, about 1/4" diameter. Has enough fibers that the bines like to stick to it, and has enough stretch in it to soak up the wind. And won't shear itself off like the juke twine does.
ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post #12 by ruf1 » 2 years ago

ECH- did you water the plants in the 5 gal buckets during the long winter? Maybe they dried out?

They are almost impossible to kill and should not die over winter.

I use the poly twine from hay bales for the hops to climb on, i throw the doubled up string over the top line and anchor it to the ground, next year i will form a loop and put the string through it and tighten, like commercial farms do............ :cheers:
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #13 by Warthaug » 2 years ago

I have two each of goldings and cascades, all 3rd year plants. And consistently, one of each grows like crazy and one of each struggles. I'm splitting the rootballs of the good plants next spring, to replace the poorly performing plants.

I also planted two new centennials this year - both are doing well. All 6 plants are starting to form hops.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post #14 by Winger » 2 years ago

ECH wrote:
ruf1 wrote:
Winger wrote:Sorry to hear of your loss. I too have lost some plants to the weather. A Hallertau bine has been broken off at ground level by the wind. There are still lots of new shoots coming up so I haven't lost any plants. No serious insect problems here this year yet. All my surviving bines have reached the 20 ft cable on top and are doing well. :D :cheers:

The wind really pisses me off! causes a lot of problems, last August most of strings broke when we had the wild wind storm, the place looked like a war zone afterwards, took weeks for the whole area to clean up without power on top of it.

Good luck winger............... :cheers:

What sort of string do you use? I used jute 2yrs ago, which sucked, but last year I bought a roll of the white cotton/polyester clothesline rope, about 1/4" diameter. Has enough fibers that the bines like to stick to it, and has enough stretch in it to soak up the wind. And won't shear itself off like the juke twine does.

I used 3 strands of sizal from a big roll I got at the hardware store. They need to be able to handle 100 lb in the wind.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post #15 by ECH » 2 years ago

ruf1 wrote:ECH- did you water the plants in the 5 gal buckets during the long winter? Maybe they dried out?

They are almost impossible to kill and should not die over winter.

I use the poly twine from hay bales for the hops to climb on, i throw the doubled up string over the top line and anchor it to the ground, next year i will form a loop and put the string through it and tighten, like commercial farms do............ :cheers:

I didn't, they would be frozen in the ground, or in the bucket over the winter, so wouldn't do any good to water them. I did the same the year before and they all came up with vigor the following spring.
ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post #16 by ruf1 » 2 years ago

Hmm! kind of odd they would die completely.

Good luck with the rest. :cheers:

Return to “Beer Gardening”