downed hops

Growing hops, fruits, spices, herbs, or anything else you plan on throwing into your brew? Tell us about it!
ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

downed hops

Post by ruf1 » 2 years ago

Well, havnt been on here for awhile as life got in the way, then 26 hops fell to the ground LIKE dOMINOS.

The wind came up and put too much stress on the guy wires that support my steel poles that are set in concrete, the guy wire on one end broke collapsing the pole on a 45 degree angle, the hops layed on the ground for 3 days in rain while i struggled through the pain of re-setting a new pole in concrete and strung up new guy wires, hoisted up all the plants with a friends help and had a few cold ones.

While the hops were on the ground i noticed a lot of damage near the top of the bines from aphids, the plants looked fine from the ground, but at 18 feet high it was not evident that there was a problem, looks like i will loose some of my crop to sooty mold created by the honeydew droppings from the bugs.

So, LOL, hows everyones plants doing? better than mine i hope :cheers:

My guy wires are now TRIPPLED. :D

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Re: downed hops

Post by XXXXX » 2 years ago

Damn! Those sound like some impressive hop plants! Glad you got it all sorted out :) Post some pics of the new setup if you have time!
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

ruf1

Ya, they are impressive this year, they are so heavy and loaded with cones.

Some of them are much further ahead of others IE- centennial cones are huge and dry to the touch already while others are loaded with burrs, i really hope the aphids have done their thing and will ____ OFF, the centennials are the ones that are damaged by sooty mold, i should get some harvest from them but i wont hold my breath.

Not a real techie type of guy but i could ask for help in taking and posting pics, will see what i can do.............feel like coming for a few beers bodhi? bring your camera ! :D

:cheers:

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 2 years ago

Mine suck this year.

2 Chinook didn't come up. Fuggles didn't come up. 2 new Cascade didn't grow.

I went from 8 plants (with the new I got this year) to 3, and they aren't growing much.

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger » 2 years ago

Sorry to hear of your loss. I too have lost some plants to the weather. A Hallertau bine has been broken off at ground level by the wind. There are still lots of new shoots coming up so I haven't lost any plants. No serious insect problems here this year yet. All my surviving bines have reached the 20 ft cable on top and are doing well. :D :cheers:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » 2 years ago

I'm glad that you got it taken care of Ruf. Sounds like it was a lot of hard work to get it back to normal. If i'm out that way this week I will give you a call. I'd love to come over and drink your beer!

ruf1

ECH wrote:Mine suck this year.

I went from 8 plants (with the new I got this year) to 3, and they aren't growing much.
That doesnt sound too good ech, do you think the winters are too harsh for some varietals?

Do you cover the crowns with sawdust or mulch or something else? , Folks that live on the north east coast of U.S.A will put a couple feet of sawdust and burlap sacks on all the crowns before winter then take it all off in the spring.

Are you feeding your plants regularly throughout the summer months ? The green manure i pile around the plants in spring does wonders, in mid June i apply miracle grow for tomatoes, seems to work well as the miracle grow provides macro nutrients in balanced way. Mind you, the healthier the plants, the more they are at risk of bug damage.

As a rule of thumb, 20-30% of rhizomes dont grow, i planted about 40 left overs in 1/2 gal pots and only 21 grew.

Hope you have better luck!.............. :cheers:

ruf1

Bodhi wrote:I'm glad that you got it taken care of Ruf. Sounds like it was a lot of hard work to get it back to normal. If i'm out that way this week I will give you a call. I'd love to come over and drink your beer!
looking forward to a visit, its been awhile, after doing all the re-rigging one of the center supports collapsed from the weight, the pipes are a little thin for this application.

:cheers:

ruf1

Winger wrote:Sorry to hear of your loss. I too have lost some plants to the weather. A Hallertau bine has been broken off at ground level by the wind. There are still lots of new shoots coming up so I haven't lost any plants. No serious insect problems here this year yet. All my surviving bines have reached the 20 ft cable on top and are doing well. :D :cheers:

The wind really pisses me off! causes a lot of problems, last August most of strings broke when we had the wild wind storm, the place looked like a war zone afterwards, took weeks for the whole area to clean up without power on top of it.

Good luck winger............... :cheers:

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 2 years ago

ruf1 wrote:
ECH wrote:Mine suck this year.

That doesnt sound too good ech, do you think the winters are too harsh for some varietals?

Do you cover the crowns with sawdust or mulch or something else? , Folks that live on the north east coast of U.S.A will put a couple feet of sawdust and burlap sacks on all the crowns before winter then take it all off in the spring.

Are you feeding your plants regularly throughout the summer months ? The green manure i pile around the plants in spring does wonders, in mid June i apply miracle grow for tomatoes, seems to work well as the miracle grow provides macro nutrients in balanced way. Mind you, the healthier the plants, the more they are at risk of bug damage.

As a rule of thumb, 20-30% of rhizomes dont grow, i planted about 40 left overs in 1/2 gal pots and only 21 grew.

Hope you have better luck!.............. :cheers:
The 4 I had in 5 gal buckets, with the intentions of them going in the ground this year. They would have been starting their 3rd summer. Only one grew, a Golding I believe. I stored them under a patio table, with a tarp around the table to keep the wind out, and then it was all under my deck, so it never got snowed on. I am thinking the lack of snow, and the colder weather maybe did them in. I needed the dirt from the buckets for other plants and dug out the roots....holy hell they grew alot in 2yrs. Probably half the size of the 5gal bucket. Anyway, took a chance, and planted them in the ground. Will give them a liberal covering of mulch in the fall, in hopes they come back next year, but not counting on it.

The other 4, only the Centennial grew, but I think they got manhandled too much going from their pot, to outside, also in a 5gal bucket, but will be going in the ground in the fall as well. Routinely give them the same miracle grow I put on my tomatoes and cukes, so they get lots of nutrients. Also when I put them in the ground, I put a shovel of manure in the hole before putting the rhizome ball in. Thought maybe they once that didn't grow this year, would maybe show some life after going in the ground, but nothing as of yet. Don't have high hopes for them, but will see if they do anything next spring.

Wonder if it would be worth taking a black garbage bag, slit a hole in the middle for them to grow through, and put it on the ground, then pile mulch on top. Would help to warm the ground up sooner in the spring. Similar to what you would do for tomatoes.