Hops harvest and drying

Growing hops, fruits, spices, herbs, or anything else you plan on throwing into your brew? Tell us about it!
Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Re: Hops harvest and drying

Post #11 by Winger » 3 years ago

Doc_Drive wrote:It might help break down the hops into finer matter, as ice crystals might break the cell walls. Not sure but you might not be able to filter out the hop matter when you go from kettle to fermenter.

I always keep my hops in a hops bag in the boil kettle otherwise the pumps get clogged.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post #12 by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

Got 104 g of fresh hops cones today from my Hallertau plant... Hopefully that'll be more next year... Will get about 23 g of dried hops from that...
Winger

Post #13 by Winger » 2 years ago

I finished picking my hops yesterday and am drying it as I type. My first year Cascade ,2 plants, was amazing. I picked the cones in a wheel barrow that was 2/3 full by the time I finished. I have a version of an Alt Albertan Ale on that I am using my homegrown hops in to see how the flavour is. :D
bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post #14 by bellybuster » 2 years ago

I miss having my own hops, you guys are lucky
Winger

Post #15 by Winger » 2 years ago

Hops are dried and vacuum bagged with a grand total of 361 ozs. The Cascade produced 85 oz after drying 2 days. That's an over achiever I think. :bow: :bow: :D
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post #16 by ECH » 2 years ago

Picked mine a couple weeks back, 2, 2nd year Chinook plants gave me an oz combined, and my 2nd year Fuggles and Golding gave me an oz combined also. Wasn't much for the Golding, so just threw what little there was of it, in with the Fuggles, figured I would use them in the same recipe anyway.

Friend of mine had a Cascade plant that she was using to make soap, but she found another source for her hops, so she had it pulled out. I fortunately got there in time to grab the bines, which gave me about 4.5oz of hops after drying, unfortunately, I didn't get there in time to grab the roots, as it was probably a 4-5yr old plant....would have been nice to have!

Our oven worked well for drying them, set on convection bake at about 150F, and dried them out nicely.

Return to “Beer Gardening”