hop cones forming

Growing hops, fruits, spices, herbs, or anything else you plan on throwing into your brew? Tell us about it!
oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

hop cones forming

Post by oro » 3 years ago

when do you usually see cones? 2 of my plants are 2nd year- centennial and fuggle and both have cones that seem to double in size every couple days - 1st year cascade is only slightly behind.

is this time of year normal to see cones developing? or is this early due to our crappy weather so far this summer?
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: hop cones forming

Post by Doc_Drive » 3 years ago

I don't have cones forming yet. I got pretty good side shoots. I think I'll have spurs forming in about a couple of weeks or so.

I have a Hallertau Tradition plant in it's second year in the ground...

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 3 years ago

My cones are huge; I'm actually wondering if I'll be picking in August. Spring was super-early here this year, so this is certainty not typical.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

oro

do you find the cones continue forming for a while harvesting them in stages? meaning you may start in August but finish in late Sept with the last harvest?

Lead Loader
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post by Lead Loader » 3 years ago

I Just harvested some cones today off part of my plant as they were starting to dry out and turn brown, they smell awesome, only about 95g of wet hops off of it right now, others are all in different stages of development, My northern brewer is a bit smaller of a plant and a bit behind in cone production, but id say in a week or so i could pick from that one.
Beer, Beer, Beer, Bed, Bed, Bed

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 3 years ago

Have cones forming on my plants as well.

All 2nd yr plants, last year I got 7 small cones off of one of the Chinook plants. This year was weird, Chinooks were first out of the dirt, and seemed to be growing fast, the Fuggles however picked up pace and raced past the Chinook and the Golding, however all plants look to be forming cones now. Don't know how much I will get off of them this year, but so far looking better than last year! LOL

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 3 years ago

oro wrote:do you find the cones continue forming for a while harvesting them in stages? meaning you may start in August but finish in late Sept with the last harvest?
I've always cut down the hops to harvest, but I'm going to try a "phased" harvest this year. I may start this weekend; my cascade cones are looking good.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

oro

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 » 3 years ago

oro wrote:Image

Great photo Fred,you will get the most and best cones harvesting in stages,doesnt work for me though,my plants are 18 feet high so i just cut the bines at 5 feet and coil the bines on the ground until it starts to get cold.
We had an early spring as well and my hops are flowering,no real cones to speak of yet,drought conditions here on the west coast have probably played a roll in the growth of the plants this year too.

A lot of lower leaves are turning yellow from what may be called chloranosis from too much city water as its been so dry, i may have to set up a carbon water filter for next year and see if it helps.

brew on

:cheers: .

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 3 years ago

Mine are just starting to flower as well. Fuggles is loaded, Golding is not too bad and the Chinook are all looking well.