New hops cultivar ?

Growing hops, fruits, spices, herbs, or anything else you plan on throwing into your brew? Tell us about it!
Darkcoder

New hops cultivar ?

Post #1 by Darkcoder » 3 years ago

Hello everyone !

As some of you knows, I am working on a breeding experiment to develop new varieties of hops. Most cultivars today are developped in western USA, UK and Germany. They are not always well suited for eastern/central Canada. Diseases, pests and weather are not the same than what we have here. That's why I am breeding some hops, using known variety and wild plants found growing here in Canada.

I have found a lab here in Quebec that is ready to help me with my project. They would do the "cleaning" of pathogens, testing for viruses and mass multiplication to ensure disease-free plants.

Anyone would be interested to buy thoses plants ? Small quantities would be ordered through me (using Paypal) and large quantities (more than 100) would be ordered directly to them.

Anyone interested in trying new stuff ? Doing so helping to shape our own (re) emerging industry.

Thanks !
ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Re: New hops cultivar ?

Post #2 by ruf1 » 3 years ago

Good luck with your breeding program darkcoder.

:cheers:
Darkcoder

Post #3 by Darkcoder » 3 years ago

ruf1 wrote:Good luck with your breeding program darkcoder.

:cheers:

I think that I will need a lot of it ! :D

I thought that the actual movement of homebrewing and microbrewery was all about trying new stuff. Well, well, I will just have to work harder.
bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post #4 by bellybuster » 3 years ago

sadly your post just looks like a sell campaign.
Darkcoder

Post #5 by Darkcoder » 3 years ago

bellybuster wrote:sadly your post just looks like a sell campaign.

Well, you are kinda right. I was trying to see if homebrewers from Canada would be interested in trying new stuff. Most of you, including myself, are buying plants from cultivars coming from the US, UK and Germany... sometimes without even knowing what they taste/smell. Why not buy plants developped here in Canada ?

I would send free cuttings if it wasn't of my consciousness of sending something with potentials viruses / diseases. So it has to go through a lab. We live under capitalism, so money is required.

But that's ok, I will not "advertise" anymore. :)
bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post #6 by bellybuster » 3 years ago

Darkcoder wrote:
But that's ok, I will not "advertise" anymore. :)

not where I was going at all...

Your plants, we have no idea what cultivars where used to even be able to imagine what they may be like. No one will purchase that. I certainly won't.

Give us some details and you may generate some interest although I think you may have to get some out there for some real world trials prior to selling them.
Frugalcanuck

Post #7 by Frugalcanuck » 3 years ago

I would also potentially be interested in buying if I knew more about it
Darkcoder

Post #8 by Darkcoder » 3 years ago

At this time, I have Cascade descendants and others of unknown origin (some wild plants/seeds, some bulk seeds from eBay). This year, I will be crossing the males I have with Cascade, Northern Brewer, Magnum, Challenger, Chinook, Sterling.

Finaly, I found a growers association interested in one of my plant and want to follow up on others to come.

Anyway, I plan to eventually release at least 1 cultivar to the public, with oils analysis results and pedigree of course.
Apimyces
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post #9 by Apimyces » 1 year ago

I've got a fair number of seedlings and seeds myself.

Let the amateur hop breeding revolution begin! ;)

Return to “Beer Gardening”