rhizomes

Growing hops, fruits, spices, herbs, or anything else you plan on throwing into your brew? Tell us about it!
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Re: rhizomes

Post #21 by ECH » 3 years ago

When I cut them, the thought never crossed my mind to put some cuttings in water, when my wife came home about 2hrs later she mentioned it, so I ran out and grabbed 3 chinook cuttings to give them a "try", they were a little limp (cut and about 2hrs in 28C heat, but just on the grass), but this morning they had all perked up and looked well.

Had I known, I would have grabbed cuttings from them all. Ahh well next year. Didn't use any root hormone powder as I was skeptical of it...but now that I know, will look out for next year! See what these 3 do first.

When would you start cutting rhizome from the mother plants? After yr 3 or 4?
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post #22 by Doc_Drive » 3 years ago

You don't need rooting hormone they do just fine in plain ol water. The hormone just might speed it up a little. Both my cuttings took this year.

You can make clones from any part of the plant that has these little climbing hair at the stem and have at least one leaf...
ECH

Post #23 by ECH » 3 years ago

Once they start sending out roots, when you go to transplant them do you treat them the same as tomato plants and plant them deeper? With tomato plants usually plant 4-6" of the stem as well, gives them a better rooting system and stronger in the end.
Doc_Drive

Post #24 by Doc_Drive » 3 years ago

You can plant them pretty much anytime when you see roots. I planted mine when I saw an eight of an inch length of root. If took beautifully. I've also done it with a plant that had 5 roots each an inch long. It really is a weed.

You can treat them like a tomato. Each hair on the stem can develop into a root. so ì would go for a shoot that has two leaves,root it and then plant it. When you see it growing, remove the original two leaves.
ECH

Post #25 by ECH » 3 years ago

Doc_Drive wrote:You can plant them pretty much anytime when you see roots. I planted mine when I saw an eight of an inch length of root. If took beautifully. I've also done it with a plant that had 5 roots each an inch long. It really is a weed.

You can treat them like a tomato. Each hair on the stem can develop into a root. so ì would go for a shoot that has two leaves,root it and then plant it. When you see it growing, remove the original two leaves.

Ahhh, no issues there then, these ones I cut off are 5-6" long and have plenty of leaves (and these were the shorter of the ones on the plants). So if they take, it will be good, as the ones I got this year from Ruf, I think I left them in the fridge for too long as they haven't started to grow at all (no fault to you Ruf, I just didn't plant them early enough, just means I will need more from you next year! :cheers: ), so I can transplant these when ready, to the planters I had the others in.

Just means I will have an abundance of Chinook in a few years, since I have 2 plants from Ruf from last year (which are doing awesome) and the 3 cuttings I kept were all Chinook. Hmmm, I can see me doing a wet hop all Chinook IPA eventually!!
Doc_Drive

Post #26 by Doc_Drive » 3 years ago

Actually, too many leaves is detrimental as they evaporate too much water and the stem without roots can't supply sufficient amounts yet. Two leaves seems to be the ideal number...
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #27 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

Yes, fewer leaves are better unless you're using a tray of rockwool and a humidity dome....
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
Greedy Dragon Brewing

Post #28 by Greedy Dragon Brewing » 3 years ago

Here is a quick update vid on how the hops (that I got from Ruf1) are doing so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW6XNbQx4NE
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

Return to “Beer Gardening”