Carbonation system (I would appreciate some help)

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
Chymick the brewer
Favourite Beer: Fin du Monde

Carbonation system (I would appreciate some help)

Post #1 by Chymick the brewer » 1 year ago

So I've been brewing a bit and I love to experiment, this winter I plan on making a natural Eisbock, using the good ol' Canadian winter to partial freeze it (I gotta make the best off of this cold). The eventual problem I see is that I'll be reaching about 12-13 % alcohol and I'm afraid that my yeast might not pull its weight in that environment.

To this effect I want to buy a carbonnation system. And I'd need some help finding out what I need, brand (if any) and estimated cost.

Here's what I'm essentially looking for:
2,5-5 gallon system
easy to clean/fix/set up
able to use CO2, NO2, He
parts that are easy to find
can be used in more complicated set up

this is something I'm willing to put 600+$ but want it to last for basically all my home brewing career. Additionally, if you can give me some tips and tricks I would very much enjoy!

Thank you
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Carbonation system (I would appreciate some help)

Post #2 by brhenrio » 1 year ago

Nitrogen would be the hard part to get into the mix imo. I would buy a dual c02 regulator, a soda keg, related liquid and gas posts, 6-10 feet of beer line(3/16"), 10 feet of gas line, and parts for a homemade beer gun. This would set you up for 300$ or less depending on what brands/etc you buy. A carbonation lid would quicken the process.
In the fermentor: Skidmark Sour Brown Ale
Vienna Märzen
Tap 1:
Tap 2: Kolsch
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Chymick the brewer

Post #3 by Chymick the brewer » 1 year ago

brhenrio wrote:Nitrogen would be the hard part to get into the mix imo. I would buy a dual c02 regulator, a soda keg, related liquid and gas posts, 6-10 feet of beer line(3/16"), 10 feet of gas line, and parts for a homemade beer gun. This would set you up for 300$ or less depending on what brands/etc you buy. A carbonation lid would quicken the process.

Just to be sure, a beer gun is the apparatus that would allow me to fill my bottle pressurized from the keg, correct? I'm still not used to the full terminology.

Also regarding Nitrogen, I have access to a cannery, so I was thinking of buying some 2 piece cans (tops and cups) place the pressure ball, fill and seal...in theory it should work no? I'm confused about how NO2 would be difficult
brhenrio

Post #4 by brhenrio » 1 year ago

Chymick the brewer wrote:

Just to be sure, a beer gun is the apparatus that would allow me to fill my bottle pressurized from the keg, correct? I'm still not used to the full terminology.

Also regarding Nitrogen, I have access to a cannery, so I was thinking of buying some 2 piece cans (tops and cups) place the pressure ball, fill and seal...in theory it should work no? I'm confused about how NO2 would be difficult

Yes you are correct on the beer gun. They also purge the bottles with CO2 prior to filling.

The hard part with nitrogen is it requires more parts. It needs its own regulator, etc... And unless im mistaken with nitrogen, you still need to carbonate with co2, the nitrogen is there more as a push aid. (It comes out of solution the minute it is deppressured, which is why it makes a nice creamy pour)
Vienna Märzen
Tap 1:
Bodhi

Post #5 by Bodhi » 1 year ago

Or, if you have the space, I would just start kegging. I love the convenience of having my beers on tap. Not having to clean/store bottles.

You could get a cheap fridge like this https://www.costco.ca/Danby%c2%ae-Desig ... 68322.html
Maybe a 2 tower tap like this:https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Dual_Tap_Beer_Tower_Kegerator_Kit_p/2tower-hb-kit.htm
And your local homebrew shop should have used kegs (usually can find for $100 or 2 for $100 if you're lucky.

All in you would be about $600. You could always get a beer gun to add to the mix and you would have the best of both worlds!

Good luck Chymick!
Chymick the brewer

Post #6 by Chymick the brewer » 1 year ago

Bodhi wrote:Or, if you have the space, I would just start kegging. I love the convenience of having my beers on tap. Not having to clean/store bottles.

You could get a cheap fridge like this https://www.costco.ca/Danby%c2%ae-Desig ... 68322.html
Maybe a 2 tower tap like this:https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Dual_Tap_Beer_Tower_Kegerator_Kit_p/2tower-hb-kit.htm
And your local homebrew shop should have used kegs (usually can find for $100 or 2 for $100 if you're lucky.

All in you would be about $600. You could always get a beer gun to add to the mix and you would have the best of both worlds!

Good luck Chymick!

oh that's awesome!, it will be in the future, because right now I live in a 1 1/2 so space is already an issue with all my projects. but kegging is gonna happen eventually (Glad to know it's not that pricy)
brhenrio

Post #7 by brhenrio » 1 year ago

The setup i suggeated is a basic start to kegging. All you are missing is a fridge and a couple small parts
Vienna Märzen
Tap 1:

Return to “Homebrewing Equipment”