pepsi fridge and controllers

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
Diceman
Favourite Beer: Vienna Ale

pepsi fridge and controllers

Post #1 by Diceman » 1 year ago

I picked up this working Pepsi fridge for 150 a while back and was using it to store my brewing stuff .
064.jpg

I don't really want to run it full time .. hydro bill is enough now , but I was in need of a fermentation chamber as it is getting a little too cool in the garage for ale so I finally built my STC controllers and now have my brew at a nice steady temperature . One controller is on my little Danby lagering a batch of Vienna lager and the other controller is being use to keep a batch of Vienna ale and a pumpkin brew up to ale temperature .
077.jpg
001a.jpg

I am using a small heater in the Pepsi fridge ( 1350 watts ) . It bring the temperature up in about 30 seconds an holds for around half an hour before it comes on again .
I'm pretty happy with the way the controllers turned out , they are working perfectly .
Next thing I need to do though is to make some liquid filled temperature probe housings .. right now the probes are just dangling in the ambient air , but its ok .. I,m not opening and closing the fridge doors too much so the temperature is keeping pretty constant .
088.jpg
090.jpg
fermenter : high gravity fermented Vienna Lager , re-fermenting with abbey ale yeast . kinda experiment .
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: pepsi fridge and controllers

Post #2 by brhenrio » 1 year ago

Looks good. I have to get my stc set up for my keeper build.
In the fermentor: Skidmark Sour Brown Ale
Vienna Märzen
Tap 1:
Tap 2: Kolsch
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #3 by SmokeyMcB » 1 year ago

I usually just tape my probe to the fermenter then insulate against ambient air with a towel and/or bubble wrap. That way the STC reads the wort/beer temp instead of the air temp...
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Steam Beer

Post #4 by Reignman » 1 year ago

I use a thermowell, something like this. I use better bottles so I had to drill a couple of holes in a solid stopper. Looks crappy, but it works.

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Stopper ... mowell.htm
Diceman
Favourite Beer: Vienna Ale

Post #5 by Diceman » 1 year ago

Thanks .. good ideas .. but I already started working on something . I have a tall skinny plastic lemonade bottle that I am going to install in the Danby .. my cooling fridge .
That way it will be somewhat permanent and I won't have wires hanging off my carboy . Going to make a thermo well for the plastic bottle the fill it with some RV winterizing antifreeze .
fermenter : high gravity fermented Vienna Lager , re-fermenting with abbey ale yeast . kinda experiment .
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #6 by SmokeyMcB » 1 year ago

That will work but not as well as if the probe is on or in the fermenter. The fermentation is gonna make heat so you'll be fermenting at a higher temp than you set your fridge at.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
Dave
Favourite Beer: mine

Post #7 by Dave » 1 year ago

Diceman wrote:Thanks .. good ideas .. but I already started working on something . I have a tall skinny plastic lemonade bottle that I am going to install in the Danby .. my cooling fridge .
That way it will be somewhat permanent and I won't have wires hanging off my carboy . Going to make a thermo well for the plastic bottle the fill it with some RV winterizing antifreeze .

That will give you the temp of the chamber, not, the fermenter.

Return to “Homebrewing Equipment”